Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Kinoulton. :)

In the Affinity apps, the 'Duplicate' command is on the Edit menu. The default keyboard shortcut on Windows is Ctrl+J. (You could copy and paste instead, but that involves an extra step and it also overwrites the contents of the clipboard.)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Thanks for the rapid response, Alfred.

I can see 'Copy' and 'Copy flat' in the Edit menu but no 'Duplicate' option.

I can of course make a duplicate file before editing, but it was useful to do it from within Photoplus if I decided to do any major work, so that I had a guaranteed fall back option if things went wrong, or if I simply changed my mind.

Hi Kinoulton,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no way to duplicate the entire document to a new document tab in Affinity Photo, other than manually copy/pasting the layers. 

If all you want is to have a go back to a previous state if something goes wrong, you can either use the History tab to go back the steps you need or create a Snapshot  (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Snapshots) to create a snapshot at any moment that you can revert back to later if needed. By default Affinity creates one automatically for you as soon as you open an image.

Thank you MEB

Your reply prompted me to explore the Snapshot function, which I've not used before, and I find that I can in fact create a new document from the initial Snapshot, using the 'New document from snapshot button', so that solves my problem.

Thanks for the rapid response, Alfred.

I can see 'Copy' and 'Copy flat' in the Edit menu but no 'Duplicate' option.

Oops! My mistake. It's on the Edit menu in Designer but it's on the Layer menu in Photo.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Thank you MEB

Your reply prompted me to explore the Snapshot function, which I've not used before, and I find that I can in fact create a new document from the initial Snapshot, using the 'New document from snapshot button', so that solves my problem.

In PS I used File>duplicate often and your method seems like it would be more elegant than copying all the layers, but I am unable to find the "New document from snapshot button". Can you tell me where that is?

Thanks 

Thank you MEB

Having a little trouble posting tonight; keep ending up with duplicate posts and can't find a way to delete them. Sorry.

New from Clipboard is not helpful. It loses the layers and it crops to the size of the layer.

We really need a real "Duplicate Document" command. You know, the one that's part of the MacOS User Interface Guidelines

https://developer.apple.com/macos/human-interface-guidelines/menus/menu-bar-menus/

New from Snapshot is a fairly convoluted workaround for what's been a basic feature of most apps for decades. Here's hoping you'll add a File->Duplicate option

Then I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Here's 3 layers selected and me picking copy

KTAfPu6.png

Here's me picking "New from Clipboard"

O83z4oH.png

And here's the result

2LgNGT2.png

You can see the result is not the same as the original. It has been clipped

46 minutes ago, greggman said:

What is the size of the bottom (empty?) pixel layer? If it is 22 x 26 pixels, then nothing has been clipped -- it is just that the pasted copy only needs to be that size to contain all the copied layers so no 'extra' pixels are added during the paste.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

54 minutes ago, greggman said:

To get a result without clipping, just add a fill layer, rasterise it and move it to bottom of the Layers panel

(Or add a new pixel layer and Fill it with some colour)

Both these layers can be permanently switched off in the Layers panel, so as not to interfere with the look of your design.

Now when you select all layers in the layers panel, do a copy, then File > New from Clipboard the new document should be the same

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

A workaround alternative to what @carl123 suggested is to use "Save as..." to duplicate the entire document. Unlike a real "Duplicate Document" option, this writes the duplicate file to disk instead of just duplicating it in memory, but sometimes that is OK -- as long as the original has been saved first so you won't lose any edits made to it since the last save.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

hI, I think what kinoulton was looking for is my quest as well. in pscc, i would work up the image, then duplicate it,

and use the duplicate for flattening and conversion to other file types. i'd save the original with layers as a ps doc-

ument to be re-edited later, if needed. it was an easy task, and i liked the copy next to the original on screen, ready 

to be renamed, edited, etc.. maybe it will be possible in the next update.

Yes, I like the fact that the PS "duplicate" function also keeps the file name. In AP, I use the "new document from snapshot" function but the resulting image is unnamed. (I tend to have filenames that are thisssssssssssssssssssssss-ssssssssssss_sss-sssss long, and it would be such a relief to have that duplicate image keep the same name as the original so I didn't have to re-type it.)

I think the bottom line is that there are ways to get the duplicate but none of them are as graceful as just clicking "duplicate." 

6 hours ago, mrh2 said:

i would work up the image, then duplicate it,

and use the duplicate for flattening and conversion to other file types. i'd save the original with layers as a ps doc-

ument to be re-edited later, if needed.

Save As does just that, leaves old version to disk and keeps a copy open to further work. (about all apps have it.)

Save as a Copy saves a version, but keeps old version open. (ID has it for example)

Duplicate keeps both document open, new one unsaved. (PS has it.)

Duplicate would be a good feature if you do not want to save a duplicate file, but want to do some adjustment to export version which you do not want to save to original, and do not trust yourself not to be able NOT to press command-S instinctively in the wrong moment, overwriting the precious original version.