You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to "Drag", How to "Click + Drag", How to "Y(not exactly Y but a strange character) + Drag"?

Everyone on this forum seems to know how to drag, so that it is never actually explained.

I am totally new to Affinity and have no idea how to activate Drag.

Also, I receive error messages at the bottom of the screen of Affinity telling me to "Click + Drag" and another message telling me to "Y + Drag"--only it's not "Y" it's a strange character, possibly a Greek letter.

Please advise on these three items.

Thanks!!!

Gratefully,

Mike

• Staff

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Generically speaking drag implies pressing and holding the mouse button (usually left or right) while moving the mouse. Click + drag - means you have to click explicitly over something (usually an object on canvas) while moving the mouse keeping the mouse button pressed all the time (since the moment you clicked the object). For example, draw a rectangle on the canvas. To move it to another position on the canvas you must click (press left mouse button) over the rectangle holding the left mouse button while you move the mouse - to move the rectangle on canvas. This is a click and drag operation.

The character you are referring to is probably this:  - It's the symbol of the alt/option key on Mac Keyboards (Windows keyboard don't have it). Again an ⌥ (option/alt) + drag operation means you have to press and hold the ⌥ (option/alt) key on your keyboard plus press and hold the left mouse button while moving the mouse. Here's an example in Designer and Photo:

Select the Vector Brush Tool then press and hold the ⌥ (option/alt) key + drag  -press and hold the left mouse button and move the mouse - you will invoke the colour picker (a "loupe" will appear on screen where you have the mouse pointer to help you pick a colour from the drawing).

If you are using Affinity Photo select the Paint Brush Tool instead then press and hold the ⌥ (option/alt) key + drag (press and hold the left mouse button and move) the mouse you will invoke the same colour picker (a "loupe" will appear on screen where you have the mouse pointer to help you pick a colour from the drawing).

Adding slightly to what MEB said, "drag" & "click + drag" are standard ways of using the mouse in essentially all apps & OS's with a mouse-based GUI (graphics user interface), which is why it isn't explained here.

Also, those messages at the bottom of the Affinity window are not error messages, they are just reminders of what you can do with the mouse pointer & the various modifier keys. In Affinity terminology, that part of the window is known as the Status Bar, I suppose because it changes to show the 'status' of what you can do as you select & use the tools.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you, MEB and RCR!

The problem I am having is that I select the Clone Brush tool, then I click alt and mouse click (tried both right and left click on the mouse--no difference) and then drag while holding down alt to the section of hair that is bald--trying to drag the hair over to the bald section to cover up bald spot.

There is no effect?

How can I accomplish that (covering up the bald spot using the real hair section?