You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I try to switch from toshop to affinity photo. I enjoy many features but i'd like to know if there is a way to have a free document rotation ?

To draw with a tablet it's sometimes easier to put your document at a certain angle (as you'll do we a sheet of paper).

In affinity I can do it with views > rotate left/right or with the H tool : right click rotate. But I don't seem to be able to rotate the angle freely... 

Suggestion : On the H tool : allow to rotate freely, maybe by holding shift at the same time ?

A direct link to go back to normal view would be great when using this tool maybe ?

Thanks for any tips on this if i missed something.

Have a nice day

• Staff

Hi CyberFufu,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If your tablet supports pen and tough gestures you can use the rotate gesture to freely rotate the document view (it also works on trackpads). Make sure  you have Enable Canvas Rotation with Trackpad in Affinity Preferences, Tools section. If not you will have use the menu commands to rotate the view 15 degrees at a time (you can also set shortcuts for this in Affinity Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts and assign them to the tablet controls) to speed things a little but there's no way to rotate it freely. Feel free to add a feature requests for this in the corresponding section on the forums.

MEB's second suggestion is what I have enabled. I have Cmd + (left and right arrows) set as the keys for rotating the canvas.

By the way, MEB, is there a key that can substitute for the mouse wheel? Kind of like how Alt + (mouse wheel) zooms? If I could set Cmd + (mouse wheel) for rotation, that would work even better.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, waynenoel said:

Why is it limited to 15°?  I don't use a touchscreen, I'm on a Macbook Pro and I want to be able to rotate the screen freely. Do you plan to add this in a future build?

You can already do this with your MacBook Pro's trackpad. See MEB's reply above for how to enable it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7