You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Getting Used To This Vector Thing

Renzatic

If the pencil doesn't add a ton of nodes to the process it would be a nice change from the pen tool for certain types of linework, especially with the new promised lazy mouse (stabilizer) feature.

Would love to see some sort of symmetry options someday too.

Would love to see some sort of symmetry options someday too.

The symbols feature in AD 1.5 gives us symmetry options, of course, but it would be nice to be able to mirror ordinary objects without having to move and flip them in separate steps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The symbols feature in AD 1.5 gives us symmetry options, of course, but it would be nice to be able to mirror ordinary objects without having to move and flip them in separate steps.

Yeah, I've seen and tried the symbol route. As a work around in a pinch maybe, seems a bit clunky and sort of a happy accident discovery rather than a fully fleshed out dedicated solution. Down the road perhaps. :-) 

Back when I used Illustrator, I came across third party plugins from Astute Graphics. They make several plugins for Illustrator. MirrorMe is one that I think Retrograde would like if it came to Designer as well since he wants symmetry tools. https://astutegraphics.com/software/mirrorme/

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Back when I used Illustrator, I came across third party plugins from Astute Graphics. They make several plugins for Illustrator. MirrorMe is one that I think Retrograde would like if it came to Designer as well since he wants symmetry tools. https://astutegraphics.com/software/mirrorme/

Yes I would like to see something similar to Astutes plugin where you can create in the "active sector" as they say and see it happen in realtime on the mirrored side. I don't do a lot of pattern work or circular repeating type stuff but I do do a lot of work where either top to bottom or left to right is basically symmetrical.

Would be cool to have a "symmetrize" option like in Blender where you can actually apply symmetry to an object at any point in the creation of it. So say you start out creating something then you decide you need it mirrored, you can symmetrize it and keep working while it updates on the mirrored side.

Would be cool to have a "symmetrize" option like in Blender where you can actually apply symmetry to an object at any point in the creation of it. So say you start out creating something then you decide you need it mirrored, you can symmetrize it and keep working while it updates on the mirrored side.

Oh like a mandala. I'm sure you already know it because of your comment earlier about symbols, but you can do something similar to this if you set everything up right. See here.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

The symbols do the job they're supposed to, but for mirroring, it's really too involved a process to at the front end. It really shouldn't require more than a few clicks before you're ready to roll.

Serif should consider looking at Krita to see how to make multibrush mirroring an easy process. And yeah, Blender would probably be good to look at too for simple X/Y mirrors.

Now, as for my AD work, I've decided to hold off on pixel brushing for the next little bit, cuz...well, my 50,000 year old Bamboo Fun has seen better days, and isn't...well, working anymore. I figured it's about time to retire the old thing, grab one of the lower end Intuous tablets to replace it with. I'll probably order it next week, but until it shows up, I don't wanna paint with my mouse. That's too annoying.

Oh, and I started another sprite. It's turning out okay so far. My only problem with it is that it looks too much like a motorcycle helmet, not like a piece of armor.

post-50216-0-73123700-1491184841_thumb.jpg

Nice. I like the shading. It'll look sharp in action.

Serif should consider looking at Krita to see how to make multibrush mirroring an easy process. And yeah, Blender would probably be good to look at too for simple X/Y mirrors.

I don't doubt that they already know it, but sorry if we fell too off topic.

Nice. I like the shading. It'll look sharp in action.

I don't doubt that they already know it, but sorry if we fell too off topic.

Yeah. I'm liking the celshaded look more and more. Not only does it look nice and sharp, but it's so much less strenuous on the program. I could stack tons of vectors on top of each other without AD even breaking a sweat.

But in the end, I'll probably break out the gaussian blurs and drop shadows for this as well. 

Oh, and getting off topic's fine. It's fun to read, and this thread doesn't have to be ALL about me. :P

my 50,000 year old Bamboo Fun has seen better days

Your Bamboo Fun can't be 50,000 years old. I have a Volito2, which is older than the Bamboo line, and it's only 10,000 years old. :P

Oh, and getting off topic's fine.

It's a good thing you said that! :D

Alfred spacer.png

But in the end, I'll probably break out the gaussian blurs and drop shadows for this as well. 

Good call. I was thinking the same for the top of the helmet.

Watch out for this one, Renzatic.

Your Bamboo Fun can't be 50,000 years old. I have a Volito2, which is older than the Bamboo line, and it's only 10,000 years old. :P

Two things:

A. My carbon dating skills aren't exactly exact, but they're good enough.

B. I've never heard of the Volito2, so I'm gonna have to assume it doesn't exist.

...so I'm still right. My Bamboo Fun is 50,000 years old, plus or minus 10,000 years, and nothing can be older.

As as long as occasional lip service is paid to me (aka the required dues), I'm pretty alright with anything happening in my threads. :D

Good call. I was thinking the same for the top of the helmet.

It'll make it look a little less plastic at the very least. Though I'm saving the softening effects for the very end this go-round, since when I resize everything to its proper scale once I'm done with the design, I inevitably have to redo my layer FX to account for the smaller pixelage (I'm pretty sure that's a word). It'll save me a bit of excess time and effort having to readjust everything. 

Watch out for this one, Renzatic.

Guy questioned my carbon dating skills. Yeah, I've got my eye out on him. :mad:

It'll make it look a little less plastic at the very least. Though I'm saving the softening effects for the very end this go-round, since when I resize everything to its proper scale once I'm done with the design, I inevitably have to redo my layer FX to account for the smaller pixelage (I'm pretty sure that's a word). It'll save me a bit of excess time and effort having to readjust everything. 

Sounds good.

Guy questioned my carbon dating skills. Yeah, I've got my eye out on him. :mad:

I think you misread his post. He was joking because no technology can be 50,000 years old since we are only in 2017. He and I joke a lot. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it.

Sounds good.

I think you misread his post. He was joking because no technology can be 50,000 years old since we are only in 2017. He and I joke a lot. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it.

Yeah, I know. I was just being goofy back. Obviously so, since everyone knows Wacom has only been around for about 3000 years or so. :P

Oh okay. Sometimes it's hard to determine tones, but mine shouldn't be so hard, Mr.....moron face!

I always thought that we should all be required to post up gifs of us pantomiming our posts to help with the fact that, yeah, tone and sarcasm don't always translate across in pure text. Sometimes even the most benign thing can come across as overly mean if you read it in just the wrong way.

...then I realized that making people post gifs of them flailing their arms about would probably end up being pretty awkward. Though it'd be hilarious and horrible in equal measures (thus totally making it worth the attempt), we should probably just stick to futzing about with the emoticons.

And now? I'm off to work on some bushes! I think moreso than the soldier, I need to spruce up my landscape a little more. Wish I had more time to work on this stuff. 

I need to spruce up my landscape a little more

Do you absolutely have to have conifers? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png

Landscaping without conifers is like...I dunno. Something.

You sound a little undecided. Perhaps you need to be somewhat more ... er ... deciduous! :P

Alfred spacer.png

I think what Alfred is saying is that he's not the rose in the thorn bush. He's the thorn. Deciduous my ass.

You sound a little undecided. Perhaps you need to be somewhat more ... er ... deciduous! :P

Don't go questioning the righteosity of my deciduousness. It discombobulates my chakra.

So I've finally come across something I'm struggling with: leafy greens. No matter what I try, I just can't quite seem to produce something I'm happy with. It always ends up looking like I've made flat plants made out of construction paper, no real depth to it whatsoever. 

I'm thinking about going out, taking a few pictures of some random bushes from a slight overhead perspective, tracing the results in AD, then converting the results to my intended style. I probably won't produce anything that'll go well with what I have thus far, but it'll help me learn how to structure plants, so I can pull off something better later (I hope).

...though as usual, I'm open for a few quick hints, tips, critiques, or links if anyone's willing to provide them in the meanwhile.

So I've finally come across something I'm struggling with: leafy greens. No matter what I try, I just can't quite seem to produce something I'm happy with. It always ends up looking like I've made flat plants made out of construction paper, no real depth to it whatsoever.

Maybe you need something like Enrique Figueroa's Texturizer. (No, I'm not on commission. I just happen to admire his work.)

Alfred spacer.png

Yeah, same here. I stumbled across his stuff when Bleduc suggested I try out the pixel brushes. Ended up liking his style.

I guess I could break out my SP4, and see how well it works there. I normally don't like using it for stylus work, since it's, at best, pretty clunky.

...which is kinda tragic, cuz that's the whole reason why I bought the SP4 in the first place. :P