You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.0.21212)

Two more:

When exporting a drawing to PNG I see a significant change of colors ( check pic, left original- right png ).

Especially reds and blues.

Second: when using the Pen tool with autofill I have artefacts/ jagged edges while drawing. This is only on screen- the final shape is crisp clear as expected. Had this with the Appstore Version too, might be worth checking.

The fonts are loading MUCH faster now, in general I have the feeling everything is even more snappy than before :)

post-693-0-73283000-1418394497_thumb.jpg

post-693-0-47664700-1418487431_thumb.jpg

Great! Very impressing list! Thanks a lot ...  :)

[EDIT] One single thing (as I have raised the issue in the Bugs section). The font list in the Character Panel shows still some unexpected behavior. The issue has been confirmed by Sleepycal in the Bugs section.

Glad to have the file name stay there when you go to save as. Would it be possible to fix the disappearing tags as well in this beta? Right now the tags in a file will vanish when you go to save as. It would also be very nice to have the name and tags pop up when you click the file name in the title bar like in other programs. Other then that good updates and I am excited to try Affinity Photo.

Something similar is happening to me.

I opened up a file in regular mode, no panels except for the tool and top bar and page. Although it shows my panels are all open in the view>studio pull down... hitting tab hides the tools and top bar as expected but nothing is bringing back the panels.

Went to separated mode and could see my panels now, hit tab to hide everything- worked, tab again and nothing, no panels now in either mode...

A bug with the new "tab" toggle setup?

I really liked that you could jump between the input fields in the "Transform" panel with Tab before, but now "Tab" hides the interface, which is a major usability issue for me, because you always have to use the mouse now to move from Width to Height or X to Y for example. 

i don't like the "tab-feature" either as i also like to toggle between input fields by using tab. because of all those half and smaller pixel coordinates one has to use the transform fields like crazy (very disturbing for web guy like me).

i also hoped for a little bit more usability wise like "zoom to selected element (and not somewhere else) when using cmd +", "show hex color code in HSL wheel", "remember the last tool used in each persona when switching between personas", "a working and real snapping to FULL pixels" and some more...

don't get me wrong, i love AD and i think it has the potential (not yet but soon) to replace freehand and also fireworks for the ui and web designers among us. there are so many good photo editing apps out there so there is no need to rush with this one. i am also looking forward to your photo app but i would prefer to see a faster progress in the development of AD.

Beta is unusable for me. Used it about 1 1/2 hours and it crashed 2 times - whereby I lost much progress each, because I always forgot to save. Luckily you have autosave functionality, however it should save more often.

I'm sorry about the crashes. I believe there is an option in Preferences to set how often autosave saves. For a new beta it would make sense to set that to more frequent than normal. Maybe we can make that happen by default in future betas; if not then we should at least mention it when we announce the beta.

I was lucky, had only one crash and autosave got everything back except the last step.

I discovered a bug with the color-picker: wanted to insert an element to fill a gap in a drawing and the applied color is about 20 percent lighter. The selector field shows the right color. See attached screenshot. The other screenshot shows the gradient bug where it only lets you choose black to white though the selector field shows orange.

Regarding brushes in persona: there is a button to protect alpha channel. Made some strokes, hit the button and wanted to paint parts over in a different color - nothing happened. Is there something I am missing?

Features: I was hoping for a mirror tool when drawing with the pen-tool/brushes. Right now I have to draw half of an element, then copy and flip it vertical to get the final shape. This is really helpful for technical elements as well as concept art when using brushes in Persona. :)post-693-0-36988400-1418483948_thumb.jpgpost-693-0-36585800-1418483959_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Lol, two more:

When opening text window ( scrolling my fonts ) the panel has now double width, right side blank.

So it's no more possible to check the new font directly in your drawing.

Layers: no more possible to drag a layer onto the new layer symbol to duplicate it.

Are you sure you don't have a font in which the preview occupies all available width? The widest font preview determines the panel width.

Layer duplicate issue logged. Thanks for reporting it.

• Staff

I'm sorry about the crashes. I believe there is an option in Preferences to set how often autosave saves. For a new beta it would make sense to set that to more frequent than normal. Maybe we can make that happen by default in future betas; if not then we should at least mention it when we announce the beta.

Yes, there is. It's in Affinity Designer -> Preferences, Performance tab -> Autosave Interval, but it's already set to its minimum value (300sec) by default, both in Beta and MAS versions.

i don't like the "tab-feature" either as i also like to toggle between input fields by using tab. because of all those half and smaller pixel coordinates one has to use the transform fields like crazy (very disturbing for web guy like me).

So true, this also drives me crazy! At this point I can't recommend anybody to use AD for UI design, especially if you are used to Sketch with its ease of use. 

Yes, there is. It's in Affinity Designer -> Preferences, Performance tab -> Autosave Interval, but it's already set to its minimum value (300sec) by default, both in Beta and MAS versions.

It is, just had a look now. So basically AD is unusable in the beta right now, because you can't be sure when the next crash happens, and I don't always want to think about saving, like in Photoshop (at least that doesn't crash so often). Especially when you are coming from Sketch this is very annoying.

On the other hand I can't use the normal version of AD either, because it's so tiresome that you always need to manually close the color overlay and can't exit it with ESC.

• Staff

@edge07

Sorry to know Affinity Designer is causing you trouble. Some betas are more stable than others and this last one seem a bit more problematic than usual. I can't tell you if a new beta will be out soon because I really don't know, but rest assured we are doing our best to fix things as soon as possible. Please bear with us while we correct those issues.

I ran into an oddity.  Showing in my drawing (and shouldn't be there) is a black rectangle with a "-0.171 in".  It stays fixed to one position until I move the scroll wheel of the mouse then the box jumps to be just to the right and slightly below the cursor.  It doesn't seem to matter what tool is selected.  The number does not change.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

@edge07 @MEB

Hmmm, ok, we should keep in mind it's a Beta...

For the price of a business lunch we here get an incredible piece of software...

Nope, I do not work for Serif, just thought I try to set things back in the right perspective.

Just try to get an answer from Adobe (apart from the pricing), still waiting for answers to questions I asked in 2012.... ;)

Btw: I legally own and have tested about 12000 apps for iOS/Android and another 450 for OS - yes, call me a Pro.

• Staff

It is, just had a look now. So basically AD is unusable in the beta right now, because you can't be sure when the next crash happens, and I don't always want to think about saving, like in Photoshop (at least that doesn't crash so often). Especially when you are coming from Sketch this is very annoying.

On the other hand I can't use the normal version of AD either, because it's so tiresome that you always need to manually close the color overlay and can't exit it with ESC.

Hi edge07,

Can you tell me what things you're actually doing when you get all these crashes with the beta? - because it's really quite stable for my use... There are millions of lines of code and if I don't know what to look at, how can I fix it?

Thanks,

Matt

• Staff

I ran into an oddity.  Showing in my drawing (and shouldn't be there) is a black rectangle with a "-0.171 in".  It stays fixed to one position until I move the scroll wheel of the mouse then the box jumps to be just to the right and slightly below the cursor.  It doesn't seem to matter what tool is selected.  The number does not change.

It's the selection information showing as part of the tool draw - you hadn't just been dragging a guide around had you? :)

Lol, two more:

When opening text window ( scrolling my fonts ) the panel has now double width, right side blank.

So it's no more possible to check the new font directly in your drawing.

Layers: no more possible to drag a layer onto the new layer symbol to duplicate it.

Same here :(

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

It's the selection information showing as part of the tool draw - you hadn't just been dragging a guide around had you? :)

Matt, I had used a couple guides earlier.  The box might have been left over from that, I didn't notice it that early.  My wife says I have selective sight, hearing, etc.  I made a small movie seeing as I figured it would be gone after restarting AD.  Which it was.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.