You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW Images Open Up Too Dark

40 minutes ago, owenr said:

I have talked about it in several threads and MEB has mentioned that the behaviour is part of the app's current design, if I recall correctly.

Hmm, I wonder then what people should batch process etc. at all, since these are all essential things one usually want's to do with RAW files.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

23 hours ago, owenr said:

I have talked about it in several threads and MEB has mentioned that the behaviour is part of the app's current design, if I recall correctly.

I dont think it is, as its only started doing it recently. 

I never had this issue until recently and its super annoying, as I prefer to use photo for making my stacks and making changes per image.

Can someone tell me, whats the correct workflow? Develop the image into photo first? 

19 hours ago, andre.lang said:

Can someone tell me, whats the correct workflow? Develop the image into photo first? 

All I can say is that I always develop and save images before loading them into any form of stack. It is more fiddly, but it does the job!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 month later...

Same issue here.images looked bit dull from my D800 and now with D850 they look awful and white balance readings are all over the place with serif engine but come close with apple engine.(exposure is improved a bit with apple engine.)When I open same files with Photoshop Camera raw or Affinity photo for Ipad these are perfectly well exposed with no white balance issue

• 9 months later...
17 hours ago, IanSG said:

Are you saying the image itself is too dark or the histogram is too far to the left?  If it's the histogram, it's a long standing issue that's fixed in V1.7

I'm using v 1.6x but still histogram to left.

But this is not just histogram the image itself is too dark.

7 hours ago, kvee said:

I'm using v 1.8x but still histogram to left.

???  V1.7 is still in beta - 1.8 isn't available.

7 hours ago, kvee said:

But this is not just histogram the image itself is too dark.

I see the same difference between AP and Raw Therapee.  It's a bit less than 1 stop.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

23 minutes ago, IanSG said:

???  V1.7 is still in beta - 1.8 isn't available.

I see the same difference between AP and Raw Therapee.  It's a bit less than 1 stop.

Yes it is 1.6x. sorry.

AP and Rawtherapee is different, from the example photo please look at the sky on top right. It is much more different in real photo.

I  have come across same issue and when posted about it in the forum just few weeks ago, I was told by affinity moderator that it could be due to some in-camera settings applied to raw image by View-NXi or Capture NX-D but after reading this thread by so many users, it seems like the issue is with the develop persona and it needs to be fixed by them. This thread was started in the start of the year 2017 so almost after 2 years, same issue is going on.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:42 AM, Dan C said:

Hi muhammadk :)

What camera do your RAW files originate from please?

On 3/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that. If you open the RAW file directly in Affinity, rather than through Nikon Capture NX-D, does the image appear the same?

On 3/13/2019 at 7:21 AM, walt.farrell said:

Is it simply, perhaps, that Affinity Photo shows you the raw data, without applying any of the in-camera adjustments you may have made (such as exposure adjustments, which primarily affect JPEG images made by the camera)?

View NX-i, on the other hand, would apply such adjustments to the raw data before displaying the image.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:42 AM, Dan C said:

Thanks for that muhammadk, I agree with Walts above post - Affinity Photo is using a different RAW engine and may not be applying the same automatic adjustments that NX-i or NX-D is to your image. I've tested a RAW file from your camera model and the image is slightly darker than it's JPEG equivalent (which is expected) but I certainly wouldn't say it's so dark it's a bug.

You're welcome to try opening your RAW files in out new 1.7 beta, we've made some changes to RAW processing that you may prefer over the live version :)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/61-affinity-photo-beta-forums/

These are the replies I got for the thread.

I've just tried converting a Canon 80D .cr2 to DND using the Adobe converter.  With the .cr2 file, AP and RawTherapee  produced different results - the RT image looked about a stop brighter.  With the DNG files, both AP and RT produced results identical to AP's handling of the .cr2.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the info.  I switched to Apple (Core Image RAW) and Apply Tone Curve.  In develop persona and when creating a stack with RAW images, this fixed my problem.

I am using Sony .ARW files.

image.png.f9980ce8fb2c112f39b303194e0a0a3d.png

• 9 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 8:31 PM, muhammadk said:

I  have come across same issue and when posted about it in the forum just few weeks ago, I was told by affinity moderator that it could be due to some in-camera settings applied to raw image by View-NXi or Capture NX-D but after reading this thread by so many users, it seems like the issue is with the develop persona and it needs to be fixed by them. This thread was started in the start of the year 2017 so almost after 2 years, same issue is going on.

Did you solve this problem? I have the same bug. Please help. 

Hi all,

I had the same issue: suddenly every raw file I opened in AP looked at least 1 stop darker. Nothing changed in my computer, nor in my configuration. I've tried the repair tool but didn't help.

I have noticed that if I minimize the AP window and then reopen full screen, the picture seems to "reset" somehow and is correctly displayed.

Last thing, I reinstalled AP (I use version 1.8.3 on Windows 8.1)

and everything work now.

Hope my comment copuld be of any help.

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, Davide Valenti said:

Hi all,

I had the same issue: suddenly every raw file I opened in AP looked at least 1 stop darker. Nothing changed in my computer, nor in my configuration. I've tried the repair tool but didn't help.

I have noticed that if I minimize the AP window and then reopen full screen, the picture seems to "reset" somehow and is correctly displayed.

Last thing, I reinstalled AP (I use version 1.8.3 on Windows 8.1)

and everything work now.

Hope my comment copuld be of any help.

Cheers,

Dave

I had this problem start (not for the first time) a few days ago.  Saw your post and clicking the minimise symbol does indeed work.  I have no idea why but for now it's an easy fix.  I just hope it sorts itself out but its definitely an Affinity problem.

Edit, a day later, having clicked the minimise symbol for one picture, it behaved correctly for the rest of the day until I switched the PC off.  Switched on today and back to dark but now can fix it with a single click.

Edited by trevorc
follow up

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2020 at 8:37 PM, trevorc said:

I had this problem start (not for the first time) a few days ago.  Saw your post and clicking the minimise symbol does indeed work.  I have no idea why but for now it's an easy fix.  I just hope it sorts itself out but its definitely an Affinity problem.

Edit, a day later, having clicked the minimise symbol for one picture, it behaved correctly for the rest of the day until I switched the PC off.  Switched on today and back to dark but now can fix it with a single click.

worth noting that i forgot all about this problem.  I certainly never had to hit the minimise button to get correct exposure, the problem just went away.  Until today.  Couldn't remember what I had done until I tracked this thread down, hit the minimise button and everything is OK again.  Just posting to reemphaise the success of this method as this problem appears in many threads and in most cases never reaches a succesful conclusion.  It would be nice to understand what the hitting of the minimise button is doing.