You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can anyone make a tutorial on how to change colors in sky?

For fantasy book covers like the one below, they always have colorful skies. Among a host of fantasy effects, I desperately need to learn how to change the colors of sky, so they have multiple unnatural colors. Or even just to change the blue in a stormy sky to like a diff color. Any help?  Even just tell me what tool to use? Thank you so much!! Seriously, I would pay money if someone made a course on book covers for Affinity.

6091ddbf993c936d91790bd1da979f89.jpg

For starters...(in AP)

You can use the Recolour adjustment to recolour the sky

Then switch to the Tone Mapping Persona and try some of the effects in there for a more dramatic look to the sky

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Pedro Soares - Yeah something like that! I've been playing with the white balance which has been some fun. Is that what you used? I'd like to get deep purples and yellow where the sun is in a photo, but white balance isn't what I want. I think I may need to work with masks to change portions of the sky maybe? 

Carl 123 - I tried recolor and it basically just changes the hues. I am looking more like what Pedro did, where all the differences in color stays, but they change. Or even better, I can add color myself to the dark and low parts of sky.  I'm having trouble getting the tone mapping to work - it keeps telling me to select an RGB pixel layer but highlighting my photo isn't doing the trick. I need to watch a few more tutorials. 

The problem is I don't want to just change the tone or tint down a slider. I want to get custom colors. Maybe painting is the answer. I'm so afraid of paint but I know there are amazing things you can do. To me paint still equals Paint.net :) Mind the newb. 

Thanks everyone! I'll keep at it and experiment more. I'll post when I achieve it. Hopefully I post eventually. 

Hi lilmisslondon,

For the example I shared, I used a combination of Curves Adjustment, Gradient Map Adjustment, Tone Mapping, Lens Filter Adjustment, a pixel layer set to Soft Light with one of the colours I wanted in the sky and Mask Layers. And I also add some light rays with a technique I use. This week I gonna share a tutorial on how to create light rays with that technique and one of my upcoming tutorials will be covering this theme - Skies. If you want you can check my YouTube channel for this tutorials and more.

Cheers,

Pedro

Photographer, Designer, Climber & Happy Gardener