You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing and Saving Different file formats

1. Does  Affinity allow Importing .ai or .ps files. Is it possible?

2. And can they be modified?

3. and Do they need to be changed to Affinity Files?

4. Adobe Illustrator provided default options to save a duplicate. ai file as a.pdf. too.

Do affinity do that?

I just have a lot of "priority" Files that I don't want to duplicate over again.

I haven't "bought into the Affinity change" yet, but I want to know the compatability issues.

Thanks for your input.

Affinity will open .pdf files and the PDF stream of .ai files. There are parts of the PDF spec we don't implement yet (eg, mesh fills), but usually the result is good enough to use. They can then be edited in Affinity. If simply saved, they will be Affinity files, but they can also be exported as .pdf so that Illustrator can read them. We don't export as .ai.

So it will probably do what you want, depending on which Illustrator features you use.

• 1 month later...

Any chance of being able to import other formats in the future, such as .cdr, .dxf, .dwg etc?

I have been working in Corel Draw for years, and have built up a huge library of client's artwork that I need to work with from time to time. I'm trying to move away from Corel draw now, and use Affinity as much as possible, but every time I need to edit an old  drawing, I have to go back to Corel Draw, even if its to make a PDF that can be opened in AD...

• Staff

Hi JeffrsnapIn,

I think it has been mentioned before - it's definitely something we'd consider, we just need a little time... At present we're trying to flesh out our features a little to the level where we're happy, but when we have a little time we can try to add it :)

Thanks,

Matt

Hi JeffrsnapIn,

I think it has been mentioned before - it's definitely something we'd consider, we just need a little time... At present we're trying to flesh out our features a little to the level where we're happy, but when we have a little time we can try to add it :)

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks. Its great to be using software that is growing like this, and gives you such good feedback!