You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mouse produces a smooth curve but wacon pen is wobbly and jittery

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

When you've finished drawing your line and let go we automatically apply smoothing to the line- this could be what you're seeing. A few users have already added a feature request asking for this to be improved and there's a response from one of our developers here explaining why this happens. 

If this doesn't explain your issue, please post a screenshot of your wobbly lines and I'll look into this further. :)

Yes, in Pixel mode does not happen, in AD. So, in that module, seems it is doing it right, is that smoothing of the vector once you release. This does not happen in Illustrator or Flash (or Krita and Manga Studio in vector mode), besides in those you can tune up the smoothing in several values (in general in averaging, I don't use same settings for different type of projects (cartoon, line art realistic, etc)).  Anyway, probably this all could come solved with 1.6 versions' smoothing...

I documented the issue, helping/intervening in a thread another artist started about the matter. She agreed with me on this.  Here is the post :

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/29078-wobbly-linework-cintiq-24hd/?p=145035

A bit down below I posted a video demonstrating the problem, but sadly filedropper seems to delete old files... And can't find it now. It showed the issue perfectly. An image though that explained it quite well, I still keep that one : 

post-31469-0-77694400-1489076750_thumb.png

Only mentioning this to add some (IMHO) important context. Not worried on when or how it is addressed. ;)

But I believe this and some other thread I posted gave certain info that can be useful once going over the problem.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

In this post, I explained how it happens way less when you draw in a non practicable fast speed. I mean, I have seen fast inkers, but never at the speed needed to produce that nose curve profile I show in there, I mean, for doing it without the issues (or almost).

Also, a very interesting contribution in that same thread, of a Mac user (the creator of the daub brushes). Seems the issue is more pronounced on Windows. IMO, one can't blame Wacom on this, as every 2D package (vector or raster) I own or have as open source does not have this behavior and issues. Is something specific to AD. (like the issues in AP brush engine). As mentioned, even having purchased AD -and planning AP depending on 1.6 brush features/fixes- , am not really worried about when it will be solved and fixed, neither how. Just adding info here.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11.