You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe InDesign Alternative

Hi Jcrod

Welcome to the forum :)

There will be a InDesign equivalent in the future called Affinity Publisher, which we hope to have in beta later this year. 

YES!!! I will be very interested in this new product. If it is truly a competitor for InDesign and can open .indd files, then I can seriously see my company ditching Adobe and moving wholesale over to Affinity.

Basic layout does not need anything special. Just do the few features right.

What is "basic" layout?

One that does not need anything special, perhaps? :P Which of course begs the question: what constitutes "anything special"? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yep, Alfred.

I can just about guarantee that there are as many different answers to that question I asked as people who will purchase APub. And the forum will have many posts about why something as "basic as..." isn't included from the get go.

We are initially going to get what Serif decides. And I can also guarantee that whatever that is, it will be more basic than I need at the beginning and quite possibly for some time to come.

YES!!! I will be very interested in this new product. If it is truly a competitor for InDesign and can open .indd files, then I can seriously see my company ditching Adobe and moving wholesale over to Affinity.

I doubt that Affinity Publisher will be able to open .indd files (unless something has changed). My guess is you will need to save your Indesign files as PDF files and then you will be able to bring them into Publisher that way. This is true for PagePlus files too.

I also second MikeW's wise observation that you shouldn't expect the beta or even the first release of Affinity Publisher to match Indesign's feature set. Publisher will no doubt have lots of great and innovative features but to get feature parity with a mature program like Indesign is going to take time, so be ready to be patient.

Hokusai

• 3 weeks later...