triptiks

Layer naming/renaming failure

Hi,

I have a terribly frustrating bug with renaming layers. I've seen this posted before, and the bug was said to be fixed in an update (which has already come). When typing a new name for layers, the text field constantly de-focuses itself – this happens so often, and so regularly, that naming layers is essentially a completely lost function for me. Layer naming is a critical function that I can not afford to lose. It can take me sometimes longer than an entire minute to successfully rename a single layer, artboard or group.

I am using a MacBook pro with external monitor. Happens with a wired mouse, wireless magic mouse, external keyboard and MacBook Pro keyboard -- there is no known issues with any input or display device. This bug also happens with the latest version of AD from the Mac App Store, as well as with the Beta. The bug occurs on layers of all types, as well as groups and artboards. This bug, for me, is only observed in the Layers palette -- all other palettes are fine with input.

In the attached video, you can see me renaming layers. In this video, the first layer is renamed correct. Then I add another layer and try to rename that one, to show how the chaos unfolds... While editing the name of this new layer, I never once press return to commit the name at any point in the video. The layer constantly loses focus, commits the incomplete name, and my typing fingers then punch random hotkeys...

This is incredibly frustrating for work. I am a super loud proponent of AD, I love all that if offers... but this bug alone is enough to ruin my workflow and make designing in AD an absolute headache.

Previous posts for reference:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18336-new-layer-naming/-- Very last comment, it goes unaddressed.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15832-bug-141-renaming-layers-broken/-- Caught in a beta, apparently logged but never addressed.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24660-rename-layer-with-obstacles/-- Similar problem, and marked as fixed.

I am pulling my hair out over this one.

Thanks for all your hard work,

-WV

affinity-rename-layers.mov

Hi Triptiks,

Unfortunately it does look like the issue (your 3rd link) that was marked as fixed has actually resurfaced. I've been able to reproduce it here again here. It is caused by double clicking the selected layer. If you double click a non selected layer, or single click the selected layer you should not encounter the issue. 

I shall get the original issue reopened and back with development.

Thanks for re-raising this issue.

Thanks Sean & Affinity team!

My current workaround is to double-click the layer, wait 2-3 seconds (roughly, I haven't timed it) before interacting with the text input whatsoever, and then naming the layer. This brief pause after activating the name edit function seems to alleviate some of the jumpy text box behavior -- but it's still a rather disruptive workaround if I'm being honest.

I'll follow this thread for updates! Thanks again for the quick reply!

Recently had some input issues with a Wacom tablet that seemed to be caused by macOS Sierra.

I realize in my original post, I hadn't stated that I am currently using Sierra – I don't know if the problems are related.

Hi Triptiks,

Unfortunately it does look like the issue (your 3rd link) that was marked as fixed has actually resurfaced. I've been able to reproduce it here again here. It is caused by double clicking the selected layer. If you double click a non selected layer, or single click the selected layer you should not encounter the issue. 

I shall get the original issue reopened and back with development.

Thanks for re-raising this issue.

Thank you for the information. This has been a major frustration for me, as I normally click on a layer to select it and then double-click to focus the naming. Apparently, the exact behavior that triggers the problem. Time to relearn…

Hello, I just want to say the bug is still on version 1.5.5 mac

Yes we can relearn or solve it for now using click once only or deselect then double clicking it.

We used to work where we double click the layer to rename them but currently it's different so User Experience wise it's a frustrating bug.

Just want to say that when I changed to Windows version of Affinity, the renaming double click bug doesn't appear. So I guess this bug is only on mac.

I can't believe that this bug has still not been fixed in the 1.6.1 update! Please guys, the Affinity tools are absolutely awesome. This minor thing totally kills it for me. Can someone please provide a status update on this? Many thanks!

Working in a file again after a while spent outside of Affinity Designer. Incredibly disheartened to see that this bug is still around.

When I am ready to export and I am renaming slices very quickly, this bug is a massive time-waster. I want to focus any layer I want, immediately rename it, and then type my string as quickly as possible... that is it. In my experience, the string will randomly highlight itself in the middle of typing which causes the entire layer name to be erased mid-string. Or sometimes it will simply de-focus, and I will end up pressing random hotkeys for unknown amounts of time before I realize the mistake. Often, this same bug will repeat itself multiple times in the process of renaming one layer or slice...

Since reporting this over a year ago, something as simple as renaming layers continues to be the one single bug I encounter constantly.

Hi amadeusp, triptiks,
I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you. I've bumped this issue yet again to bring it to developers attention - they have been all quite busy with Publisher, Designer for iPad and v1.7 updates - hopefully it will be looked at as soon as they find some time.

Thanks MEB! I think it is a minor issue but one that really is quite annoying when you work with the apps every day. So yes, it would be great if the devs could fix it as soon as possible. Sometimes bug fixing is more important than new stuff to customers. :) I hope this makes sense.

Just going to bump this, since this is still completely killing my mood and love for Affinity Designer. I've moved over from Photoshop beginning this year and haven't looked back, but this silly bug being in the program for years now is unacceptable in my book. Please fix this soon, because if I hear the barrage of error sounds again when trying to type in a new layer name, either me or my laptop (or both) will go out of the window ;)

Ok, maybe a little overdramatic but still, it's super annoying that I have to wait a second before typing in the layer name. It surprises me not more people are jumping on this, since this is a very common and frequent action to perform while designing.

Thanks for your attention, and hope to hear from you soon. Peace!