Sign in to follow this  
Qu4ntumSpin

AD (1.5.2.58) bug number of windows/files open

Hello everyone,

I open a lot of files by drag&drop inside AD and this often results in two issues :

1) The main "Window" menu does not display all the open files, see screenshots, only 10 of the 16 windows are displayed.

2) When I have much more files open, and I decide to drag another one in, the Ui goes through all the already opened files before showing me the new one... It sometimes take a very long time to do so.

Small addition concerning point 2, if I had previously closed multiple windows before adding that new file (opening that new window), the closed ones will come back again and I have to close them again!

IMHO severity of this bug is high, because depending on the file sizes, this can stuck the whole program for 5-10 minutes or more...

Thanks in advance,

best regards.

post-52743-0-27880500-1487794584_thumb.png

Hi Qu4ntumSpin

The window menu is most likely restricted to prevent it being cut off on smaller screens but I think we could possibly show a few move windows than that safely. You do get the full list by clicking on the double arrow on the document tab section

I'm not seeing your second issue. I have about 30 files open, and when i drag and drop a new one it just displays, there is no iteration through the other open documents, unless the documents are too small so it's too fast to notice

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

@Chris_K Thanks for your answers.
Yes the limitation of 10 is understandable, but when you have a large screen there is no double arrow on the document tab section.

You can actually see the 16 tabs. But only 10 are on the windows menu.

Even tough there is a reason "by design" to have the mapping on 1-0keys, it has nothing to do with the size of a menu and its content length, it is the case with many other programs. When you have a "Windows" menu, it does display them all which make perfect sense since that's what it is for.

A simple suggestion from a Software Enginner and user stand point:
- Add a way to sort your windows

- The "windows" menu should always represent the order in what the files are opened in the tab document menu. Means even if sorted manually or automatically.

- Do not limit the number of windows in the menu -> "Windows". You can have scrollbars on menus, just like you do on the double arrow in the document tabs menu / bar.

Concerning the other issue, I can reproduce this issue on both my computers with the latest version installed.
Here is a little help so you can reproduce it too : 

1) git clone this repo (it's open and free) https://github.com/google/material-design-icons

2) Open your "file explorer" at the folder "action/svg/design", filter out by *48px.svg  so you don't have a billion to open.

3) Now drag and drop all that files in your affinity designer

4) This will take a small bit depending on your machine.

5) Now close a few of them. Choose randomly but remember one name of the ones you closed.

6) Drag that one you remember back in AD from your file explorer

7) If you don't see AD going through all the files because it is slow or maybe in your machine too happening too fast, click on the "double arrows" in the tab menu.

Result:

- The ones that you closed before are back again, AD opened them again even tough you didn't drag them in.

Expected:

- Only the file you dragged in should be added back.

Best regards

Hi Qu4ntumSpin

I've been following your steps and I am still unable to recreate the issue. The drag file open without running through the other open files and any files i close remain closed. I shall keep trying, but is there any video you can provide to show the issue?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Qu4ntumSpin

I've been following your steps and I am still unable to recreate the issue. The drag file open without running through the other open files and any files i close remain closed. I shall keep trying, but is there any video you can provide to show the issue?

Thanks

I'll try to make a video later then. I'm quite busy at the moment. But I'll do it no problem.