cekuhnen

PDF Export BUG - Massive amount of random white artboard edges

Based on how curious AD is it seems that some pages it exports fine and other pages have at random artboard edges naked white edges.

sometimes this are thin lines - sometimes also pretty big and noticeable.

I to prevent this added bigger rectangles than the artboads but I remained having the issue.

So I exported as PNG and made a powerpoint slide and from there exported as PDF.

This PDF seems to work dramatically better but I noticed that there are also there sometimes fine white edges.

I am not sure if this is a PDF engine issue in macOS Sierra.

When loading a PDF page the content swims meaning it moves minimal which is odd.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

Affinity folks any idea? This has to be resolved. Exporting from AD to PDF currently for me is useless for digital documents.

For printing I could use bleed thats fine.

just check all the random edges that get white borders of various size in addition!!!

post-9948-0-87207100-1487857983_thumb.png

post-9948-0-05620300-1487857989_thumb.png

post-9948-0-32374900-1487857991_thumb.png

Claas Kuhnen

Hi cekuhnen,

I just want to clarify, are the white lines appearing on edges appearing in all your pdf exports? Or all of your PNG exports? Or both?

The app does occasionally show white lines on the edges of documents due to rounding issues, but these shouldn't appear on any exports.

Are you using the current release version, or current beta?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi cekuhnen,

I just want to clarify, are the white lines appearing on edges appearing in all your pdf exports? Or all of your PNG exports? Or both?

The app does occasionally show white lines on the edges of documents due to rounding issues, but these shouldn't appear on any exports.

Are you using the current release version, or current beta?

The PNG exports work perfectly fine.

The PDF exports do show white borders at random edges.

Like with bleed I out of curiosity made the images overlap the art board edge

but this does not solve the issue in exported PDF documents.

here is a screenshot of the Affinity arboard you can see via the blue ractangle how big the

gray background rectangle is. the image in my second posts shows you the white edges Affinity produces in the PDF.

post-9948-0-58856300-1487861548_thumb.png

Claas Kuhnen

Hi,

Any chance you could send me the file you are working from? There is a bug that we have logged that you could be encountering, but it'll be easier if I can look at your file to directly to suss this out.

Also please let me know what PDF settings you are exporting to.

You can attach the file here, or PM me a link to it if you'd like to keep it private.

Thanks

Hi,

Any chance you could send me the file you are working from? There is a bug that we have logged that you could be encountering, but it'll be easier if I can look at your file to directly to suss this out.

Also please let me know what PDF settings you are exporting to.

You can attach the file here, or PM me a link to it if you'd like to keep it private.

Thanks

I send you a PM with a link to the file 2 days ago I think. Did you get?

Claas Kuhnen

Hi, I have got it and am looking into it now, I wasn't in the office yesterday so apologies.

I'll get back to you shortly

Hi Claas,

It looks as though it is taking the position of the artboard into account when exporting. Many of your artboard's are placed on subpixel boundaries. This is causing an issue when exporting introducing the whitespace as you've noted. Obviously all your artboards are whole pixels and all the same size so you really shouldn't be seeing that gap. I will get that reported to development.

To work around the issue you can re-position the artboards so they are located on a whole pixel. To do this:

1. In Document Setup change units from Inches to Pixels
2. Select an Artboard
3. In the Transform Panel ensure the X and Y values are whole numbers and not decimal pixels. If they are not manually remove the decimal places and press Enter to correct the position.
4. Repeat for the other artboards

When you export now they should look correct.

EDIT: Looking closer I don't think that does fully solve it. If you enable Pixel View Mode it will show you where the gaps will be, and I've noticed that gaps appear at the top of an artboard when Y positioned at 1516px but not 1517px. I will get my report to development updated.

Hi Claas,

It looks as though it is taking the position of the artboard into account when exporting. Many of your artboard's are placed on subpixel boundaries. This is causing an issue when exporting introducing the whitespace as you've noted. Obviously all your artboards are whole pixels and all the same size so you really shouldn't be seeing that gap. I will get that reported to development.

To work around the issue you can re-position the artboards so they are located on a whole pixel. To do this:

1. In Document Setup change units from Inches to Pixels
2. Select an Artboard
3. In the Transform Panel ensure the X and Y values are whole numbers and not decimal pixels. If they are not manually remove the decimal places and press Enter to correct the position.
4. Repeat for the other artboards

When you export now they should look correct.

EDIT: Looking closer I don't think that does fully solve it. If you enable Pixel View Mode it will show you where the gaps will be, and I've noticed that gaps appear at the top of an artboard when Y positioned at 1516px but not 1517px. I will get my report to development updated.

Thank you for reporting this! And good tip about the pixel issue - did not think about it myself.

Claas Kuhnen