You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD family,

This issue I'm trying to sort/figure out MUST be something extremely simple. My apologies for posting again on the same topic but my brain has not served me well on this one.

Ive designed a simple image/logo made up of 8 or 9 layers, then grouped them together. 

My desire was then to duplicate the entire image (group of layers) which I successfully via the cmd+j shortcut. you can see the dups in the layers panel in 1 of the 2 screenshots I've attached below.

Here's where Im hitting a wall...using the Move tool, I select/click the topmost grouped-layer in an attempt to drag the duplicates apart and play around with them. When I do this all 4 grouped-layers move around with each other as if 'locked' together.

I took a peek at the Line view and could see that in fact all 4 duplicated groups had been moved, and were NOT stacked atop each other as I'd thought.

Any/all guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks for bearing with the elementary questions.

Regards,

-Christo

post-49603-0-64067100-1487729265_thumb.png

post-49603-0-50938400-1487729280_thumb.png

It sounds like the groups were moving but the display wasn't showing. The outline view showed the real thing. That's odd. I can see you only have one group selected. I'm not sure it's a bug since I can't seem to accomplish that same issue. (It doesn't mean it's not.) Might your computer be running low on space, or might there be a driver issue?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Thanks for the file. This is happening because you have placed the logo elements (clipped) inside a black rectangle that's larger than the document.. So each duplicated black rectangle with the logo elements inside, hide the ones below it.

There's no need place the logo clipped inside the black rectangles. I would create just a single black rectangle to use as the background, then place each copy of the logo (the logo elements) on its own layer (or alternatively in a group). I've personal messaged you an edited file where each logo (elements) where placed inside its own layer, added a black rectangle - locked - as the background (on the bottom of the layers stack) and deleted the clipping black rectangles. To move each logo (the whole logo) select it in the layers panel and then drag it on canvas. To select an element of a logo, just click on it on canvas.

Many thanks MEB!...my gut told me it had to be a simple maneuvre yet I'm just beginning to learn this 'new foreign language' known as AD - to this point I've always created my art by hand but really want to learn computer based graphic design as well.

I'm very excited about AD/AP as I've done a lot of research before jumping in, and definitely did not want to get sucked into the AdoBe vortex. 

A committed AD fan.

-Christo 

Nevermind on the driver issue. I'm guessing you may have thought that dragging curves inside each other in the Layers panel create a group. That creates a clip, an object(s) inside another. If you drag curves in a layer, then that creates a nested layer. You cannot drag objects inside another or a layer to "start" a group, but after one is created, you can drag them in.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!