You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I get Affinity designer to 'see' fonts I know I have on my Mac?

With my old (obsolete) drawing software (FreeHand MX) I used to use 'Suitcase Fusion' to manage fonts ...this may well be now redundant?

Where do the fonts that are resident in Affinity come from as I they're new to me? (do they come with the software?).

If someone can recommend a good way of managing fonts that works well with Affinity then that would be great

Thanks in anticipation

Chris

Have you looked through the entire list of fonts? Sometimes AD doesn't list them in a way other applications may.

In particular, fonts whose names begin with lowercase letters are listed after the fonts whose names begin with uppercase letters.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Suitcase Fusion's 'auto activate' feature may not be compatible with Affinity's font discovery feature, which apparently scans the standard OS X font install locations for changes even while the app is running.

There are several of these locations, including the root level 'global' /System/Library/Fonts & /Library/Fonts folders available to all users, & the per user /Library/Fonts folder available only to the currently logged in user.

For basic font management services Apple's Font Book app should be adequate, & is the tool Apple recommends for installing new fonts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Have you tried activation without AD running, starting AD and seeing if the fonts are then there?

Have you looked through the entire list of fonts? Sometimes AD doesn't list them in a way other applications may.

Yes, this works thanks!

Sorry, I should have thought of doing this myself (getting a bit rusty in old age)

For whatever reason, I don't think Affinity application can utilize the link to the font that most font managers use for temporarily installing fonts (which is the method I use mostly). I haven't tried permanently installing a font using the font manager I use.

AD sees the change, says it is updating the font cache, but no joy as regards actually listing and using the font until I exit AD and restart.

Mike

AD sees the change, says it is updating the font cache, but no joy as regards actually listing and using the font until I exit AD and restart.

I've found that I don't need to exit the program and restart it, but I do need to close the document and reopen it.

Alfred spacer.png

I've found that I don't need to exit the program and restart it, but I do need to close the document and reopen it.

Perhaps. Probably. I haven't tried. tis a habit of the early beta on my part I presume.

Every other application I use daily lists and allows the use of a font installed by the font manager within a second or so of installing. This is what Affinity applications ought to do as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought i'd use this thread to base the same kind of Font related question  and sorry if has been addressed somewhere else.

The fond I have on my OS (Windows 7), AP & AD dont show EVERY font I have,the only Program I have so far that I've noticed that does show all,is GIMP. is this something that's going to be worked on for both AD/AP in the near future?

What kind of fonts don't show up? As far as I know, both AD and APh should show all TrueType and OpenType fonts, as well as Type 1 (but not Type 3) PostScript fonts. I don't think we can use screen/bitmap fonts in either app.

Alfred spacer.png

What kind of fonts don't show up? As far as I know, both AD and APh should show all TrueType and OpenType fonts, as well as Type 1 (but not Type 3) PostScript fonts. I don't think we can use screen/bitmap fonts in either app.

There's a small handful (as I can think of lol) that dont show up but cant remember the names atm.but I think most do show up as the list is long lol. I'll have to go check in the windows section where the font are and make sure all are either tt or ot,if there are any ps ones,then that might be the case why I have some that dont show up.  ^_^

There's a small handful (as I can think of lol) that dont show up but cant remember the names atm.but I think most do show up as the list is long lol. I'll have to go check in the windows section where the font are and make sure all are either tt or ot,if there are any ps ones,then that might be the case why I have some that dont show up.  ^_^

The other thing to watch out for is that the list has case-sensitive sorting applied: on my list, 'akaPosse' is listed after 'Zolano Serif BTN' at the bottom of the list. Confusingly, the recent fonts list at the top ignores the case when sorting, so 'akaPosse' appears with the other 'A' fonts.

Alfred spacer.png