You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I think it depends on how you create the new document. If you choose "Print (Press ready)" it will be prepared in CMYK and so the PDF. Otherwise, it will be created as RGB document.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Hello,

thanks for the prompt reply.

I checked the settings. Print it is RGB, also Photo (RGB). Print (Printing house) is CYMK. The results  - also CYMK - are the same. Not the same colors as Pdf (less saturation) and brighter. 

Actually I opened it with Affinity Photo I forgot to mention. But same results with Affinity Designer.

If the PDF document is in the RGB color space, it will open in AD as an RGB document and the document color space will be set so accordingly.

If you place an RGB PDF in an AD CMYK document, it remains as RGB until exported at which time the exported PDF will be in the document color space or in accordance to the export PDF profile. All AD's PDF/X profiles, though one can set the export profile to RGB, will be in the CMYK color space--though PDF/X-4 should allow a tagged, mixed color space, Serif's implementation does not.

Mike

Hello Mike,

have placed as RGB PDF in Affinity Photo. Probably there is a problem when text is embedded. Please have a look a the file. It shows twice the same image imported as pdf. The image top left with text, the same right down without text placed on the same layer.

post-26285-0-40426200-1487693186_thumb.jpg

There isn't any way to force the colour space of an imported PDF. Some PDFs identify their colour space, but some don't, in which case if they contain a mix of RGB and CMYK colours, we open it as CMYK. You can change the colour space of a document after it has been loaded, though. Does doing that help?

Mike, for PDF/X-4 and above RGB images/bitmaps should export as RGB. We try hard to preserve their native colour space as long as possible because the printer can often do a better conversion. For vector colours, they aren't stored as the document colour space anyway, so they get converted to whatever colour space the PDF is using. We don't treat embedded documents any differently.

Dave,

Whether I import a profiled RGB image or unprofiled RGB image into an AD CMYK document, PDF/X-4 always converts the RGB image to CMYK.

There may be a secret handshake I haven't figured out yet, but the above is my experience. 

Mike

There isn't any way to force the colour space of an imported PDF. Some PDFs identify their colour space, but some don't, in which case if they contain a mix of RGB and CMYK colours, we open it as CMYK. You can change the colour space of a document after it has been loaded, though. Does doing that help?

Mike, for PDF/X-4 and above RGB images/bitmaps should export as RGB. We try hard to preserve their native colour space as long as possible because the printer can often do a better conversion. For vector colours, they aren't stored as the document colour space anyway, so they get converted to whatever colour space the PDF is using. We don't treat embedded documents any differently.

Any chance asking the user to choose which color space (s)he preffers?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

i take it back. It appears I can export a CMYK document that contains a PSD with a profile and it remains RGB. Colors are off (but then the PSD I selected isn't a typical image). I also get a notice that Nothing will be Rasterized...

Ok. When I open the PDF with the 100% k text and an RGB image into an AD document set to CMYK, I get the following message:

post-255-0-69340400-1487696865_thumb.png

And that is because the image has no RGB profile to tell AD what to do, so the conversion occurs.

If I redo a PDF with 100% k text and a profiled (sRGB in this case) RGB image, then there is no assignment (i.e., conversion) of the image. Instead, I see this in the layer's panel:

post-255-0-63790600-1487696973_thumb.png

Here's the thing. I would rather AD have color management policies like Adobe and Corel has. These policies can be set to convert to the working space profile, leave unchanged, or to use embedded profiles. (QuarkXPress can as well, but it isn't super obvious to people). This would mean RGB remains as RGB even if un-profiled but that one has the opportunity to have AD to treat RGB as RGB and if any conversion happens to an RGB image upon opening a PDF or placing an RGB image where in either circumstance there was no RGB profile, that the RGB profile as set in Preferences would either control the conversion or leave the RGB image unchanged (but still RGB). And that RGB image information is in the PDF.

Getting the RGB image back out is touched on in a post to Dave Harris above and his replies to me. It should happen automatically with a PDF/X-4 and this does not appear (to me) to be the case.

I have attached the PDF I generated.

Mike

Untitled-1.pdf

Hello Mike,

thanks a lot. If I export the pdf as PDF/X-4 it is fine for both pdf's. I must check embedding the profile in a pdf.

But have a question yet. I got no warning that no color profile is embedded - Designer 1.5.4 / Photo 1.5.1. If I use the menu "file  / place" the pdf will placed without a message, if I drag the pdf on Affinity Designer / Photo this message opens (and the font is recognized) and only when dragging/opening the first time. If I do that again there appears no message.

One note. In the preview of the message it might be useful changing the number of the page that the preview changes.

Hello Mike,

thanks a lot. If I export the pdf as PDF/X-4 it is fine for both pdf's. I must check embedding the profile in a pdf.

But have a question yet. I got no warning that no color profile is embedded - Designer 1.5.4 / Photo 1.5.1. If I use the menu "file  / place" the pdf will placed without a message, if I drag the pdf on Affinity Designer / Photo this message opens (and the font is recognized) and only when dragging/opening the first time. If I do that again there appears no message.

One note. In the preview of the message it might be useful changing the number of the page that the preview changes.

post-26285-0-17220600-1487751498_thumb.jpg

Whether I import a profiled RGB image or unprofiled RGB image into an AD CMYK document, PDF/X-4 always converts the RGB image to CMYK.

I looked into this. It is failing more often than it should because the 1.5 code is being too fussy what embedded profiles it accepts in a PDF. For PDF/X, the file intent has to be a printer profile, and the check for that is wrongly being applied to embedded profiles too. Since sRGB is a screen profile it fails, and we fall back to the CMYK image. I'll get this fixed for 1.6.