You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am yet another convert from Illustrator to this amazing software! I am trying to wrap my head around how layers work and wondered if there is a way or setting to allow the creation of different objects on the same layer as in Illustrator? It seems like each object created is always placed on its own layer. If I have many lines for hatching or a design, it creates a rather large layer stack which I presume over time can get quite crazy with large projects. My apologies if this topic has already been addressed.

Thanks,

Lyle 

• Staff

Hi Lyle,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Click the Add Layer button on the bottom of the Layers panel (the third icon counting from the right), then simply draw the objects on canvas. They will all be placed inside that layer as long as it's selected in the Layers panel. In case you want to set up a different colour for each layer in the Layers panel (colour-coding), right click on it in the Layers panel and select Properties. Colour-coding can only be set for "main" layers (or sublayers) - identified by the (Layer) label after the layer's name in the Layers panel) not for object layers (rectangles, paths, text etc).

Hi MEB,

Thank you for your response. What I am wondering is if there is a way to create a series of objects or paths using the pen too that are all on the same layer as opposed to each object being nested under a layer. An example of this would be the way the brush too works in Affinity Photo. I can do multiple strokes and they are all on the same layer in the layer stack. In Adobe Illustrator if you create a series of lines or curves with the pen tool, they are all on the same layer, not separate layers in the layer stack, and no nesting. Is this possible with Affinity Desiger?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18353-affinity-designer-understanding-the-layers/

Time has a funny way of repeating itself. I first became a member of the Affinity forums in February of last year, and my first topic was on the layers. Lylmills' joined the forum on February of this year, and the first topic is on the layers. How about that.

What I am wondering is if there is a way to create a series of objects or paths using the pen too that are all on the same layer as opposed to each object being nested under a layer. An example of this would be the way the brush too works in Affinity Photo. I can do multiple strokes and they are all on the same layer in the layer stack. In Adobe Illustrator if you create a series of lines or curves with the pen tool, they are all on the same layer, not separate layers in the layer stack, and no nesting. Is this possible with Affinity Desiger?

It depends if it is a continued object. In both Designer and Illustrator, separate objects will show as separate layers (if the adult one is expanded). The Brush Tool in Affinity Photo is raster based, so it can't be nested. If selecting everything at once is what you want, then just select the adult layer. Then all of the nested objects will be selected at once.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I think a lot of the confusion is because "layer" can mean two different things depending on context:

1. Generically, any kind of layer (group, pixel, mask, adjustment, shape, curve, text, whatever) or

2. The specific 'container' type of layer identified with the (Layer) label in the Layers panel.

(Layer) layers can have nested sublayers, also known as child layers, which can include any type of layer (including (Layer) layers) -- but so can the (only?) other two types of 'container' layers, group layers & artboards. There are no restrictions I am aware of for this -- for example, you can even have artboards as children of other artboards or layers that are not children of any container layer.

If that isn't confusing enough, there are two special types of vector shape layers, the (Curves) layer type (note the plural) containing two or more non-overlapping shapes & the (Compound) layer type, which is sort of the same thing, except that the shapes remain nested as sublayers.

It all (mostly) makes sense after working with the app for a while, but it can be very hard to take it all in at once.

It does not help that the layer type labels in the Layers panel are a low contrast shade of grey, making them easy to overlook, or that nowhere I can find in the builtin help the distinction among the three (?) 'container' layer types is clearly explained in a single topic.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It does not help that the layer type labels in the Layers panel are a low contrast shade of grey, making them easy to overlook, or that nowhere I can find in the builtin help the distinction among the three (?) 'container' layer types is clearly explained in a single topic.

I actually prefer that, because I am constantly renaming layers, so I like the names to be the first thing to stand out, but that's a good point.

Lylemills,

As R C-R pointed out, any layer will have in parenthesis what kind of layer it is to help identify it; a curve, a layer, a group, a compound, text, a pixel, or whatever. And each behaves differently. That is why I said that Affinity's Photo's Brush Tool is raster based. In other words, that can only work on "Pixel" layers. Any vector brush stroke can only work on regular layers (vector layers). That is why vectors each get their own layer (curve). You can, however, nest them in vector layers as MEB mentioned or group them to keep them looking more organized.

I hope you understand this well and that we're not throwing a lot of new information at you at once.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 years later...