You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, im' terribly sorry, but i'm looking to work with pattern, and i don't know how.

With inkscape, it is really easy, for example, to create a dots pattern, you just have to organise some dots then select it all and use the function "Objects as Pattern". Then you can fill an object with this pattern, then adust the size, position, angle with usual tool, as a gradient.

I even haven't found how to do that with affinity Designer, neither to use a sample SVG image as a pattern multiplying it as necessary.

I know, this is a basic use, but sorry, i don't know to do that with Designer

• Staff

Hi Larsene,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If the pattern is a raster image you can easy fill an object selecting the Fill Tool, changing the Type to Bitmap in the context bar, selecting the image/pattern you want to use from the dialog then dragging over the object on canvas.

If you want to use vector objects as a patten you can either use Power Duplicate to duplicate the objects manually (see this video tutorial on how to use it) or use the Symbols functionality to create a "module" then replicate it using Power Duplicate - the advantage of this approach is that if you change one of the instances of the "module" all the others will update accordingly.

To create a Symbol, draw the base module/pattern you want to replicate, then group it. With the group selected, open the Symbols panel (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Symbols) and press Create. You have now created a symbol from the pattern. Now to use it, drag it from the Symbols panel to the canvas and use Power duplicate as explained in the video tutorial to replicate it.

Hi, many thanks, MEB, for all the anwswers on Affinity product. You answered all my questions on this forum.

Your solution is okay for me, and great use of power duplicate, i'll work a little more on this.

But, this is not a vector pattern really, so, there's no vector pattern support for now if i'm understanding your answer well ?

And it is strange that you can access the filling of an element fast (it appear over when you select it) but the bitmap pattern never appear, only when you specifically select the the filling tool.

I would fill a feature request for this in the Feature Requests section to be considered for inclusion.

Alternatively, post to add your support to an existing Feature Request thread such as this one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)