chloehardisty

Cutting out part of a picture to use independently

Just now, jdiamond said:

It's really not the shape itself that's causing me the problem - it's very easy for me to select a rectangle.  But once done, the rectangle is just sitting there.  There's no crop action I can see anywhere.  So now I have an image with a selection rectangle on part of it.  How would I crop to that rectangle?  How would I change the canvas extent to match that rectangle?  The icon looks like a crop icon, but if it crops, I don't know how.

Once the rectangle is where you want it push ENTER / RETURN on keyboard.

WOW!  It works!  I've been trying to figure that one out for almost 2 years and countless posts!  Gee - maybe a manual WOULD be a valuable investment?  

So it's fair to say then that Infinity Photo there are some things that cannot be done without the keyboard?  I would not have guessed that, because in Photoshop, key strokes are simply short cuts for things you could also do with the mouse.

(Wish it could be done with a normal selection box, so I don't have to start resizing the crop rectangle, but at least it's possible.)

So for readers who missed it, to ENACT the crop, you hit the ENTER key.

1 minute ago, jdiamond said:

So for readers who missed it, to ENACT the crop, you hit the ENTER key.

Anyway, thanks *SO* much, The Computer Lab.  No one from Affinity was able to tell me that, and now I can crop things.  And now I know that there are things in Affinity Photo that cannot be done without key strokes, so I'll start looking for how keys are defined.

5 minutes ago, jdiamond said:

Anyway, thanks *SO* much, The Computer Lab.  No one from Affinity was able to tell me that, and now I can crop things.  And now I know that there are things in Affinity Photo that cannot be done without key strokes, so I'll start looking for how keys are defined.

No problem, hopefully gained another subscriber on my YouTube Channel :)

if it is the crop tool you used, a doubble click in the crop area woud do the same as enter

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

6 minutes ago, The Computer Lab said:

No problem, hopefully gained another subscriber on my YouTube Channel :)

I'd be happy to - well worth it for this kind of help.  Could you give me a link?

5 minutes ago, jdiamond said:

I'd be happy to - well worth it for this kind of help.  Could you give me a link?

Its not allowed in this forum to post links to channels (only videos) but if you watch the video on YouTube (not on the forum) there should be a subscribe button under the video.

I don't know if this is still active..cut & paste is just not working for me & I know there must be something simple I'm not doing:

I open 2 separate jpeg images - only 1 pixel layer each, make a selection from one, edit/copy, go to the other image, edit/paste (I try several of the different paste options) & nothing happens.

While cropping using the crop tool works fine, this is still not the same as cropping based on a selection. I often use the 'Magic Wand' tool to create a selection. Now I want to crop the image to the 'virtual rectangle' around this non-rectangular selection. How do I do this?

Edited by Lefteous

I'm testing out the trial version of Affinity Designer for Windows 10. However, not all features are available. I want to remove the Background from a picture but the Convert to Curves is disabled. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, upbeat1 said:

I'm testing out the trial version of Affinity Designer for Windows 10. However, not all features are available. I want to remove the Background from a picture but the Convert to Curves is disabled. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @upbeat1. :)

The trial version only imposes a time limit. There are no disabled features.

The ‘Convert to Curves’ function converts parametric shapes (ellipses, stars, etc) to closed curves so that you can manipulate them with the Node Tool. In order to remove the background from a bitmap/raster image you need to make a pixel selection and delete the unwanted area.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.6 • Designer for iPad 1.8.6 • iPadOS 14.3 (iPad Air 2)

9 hours ago, IanSG said:

Can this be done in AD?  It's easy in AP though.

Yes, if you switch to the Pixel persona

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.