You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cutting out part of a picture to use independently

Just now, jdiamond said:

It's really not the shape itself that's causing me the problem - it's very easy for me to select a rectangle.  But once done, the rectangle is just sitting there.  There's no crop action I can see anywhere.  So now I have an image with a selection rectangle on part of it.  How would I crop to that rectangle?  How would I change the canvas extent to match that rectangle?  The icon looks like a crop icon, but if it crops, I don't know how.

Once the rectangle is where you want it push ENTER / RETURN on keyboard.

WOW!  It works!  I've been trying to figure that one out for almost 2 years and countless posts!  Gee - maybe a manual WOULD be a valuable investment?  

So it's fair to say then that Infinity Photo there are some things that cannot be done without the keyboard?  I would not have guessed that, because in Photoshop, key strokes are simply short cuts for things you could also do with the mouse.

(Wish it could be done with a normal selection box, so I don't have to start resizing the crop rectangle, but at least it's possible.)

So for readers who missed it, to ENACT the crop, you hit the ENTER key.

1 minute ago, jdiamond said:

So for readers who missed it, to ENACT the crop, you hit the ENTER key.

Anyway, thanks *SO* much, The Computer Lab.  No one from Affinity was able to tell me that, and now I can crop things.  And now I know that there are things in Affinity Photo that cannot be done without key strokes, so I'll start looking for how keys are defined.

5 minutes ago, jdiamond said:

Anyway, thanks *SO* much, The Computer Lab.  No one from Affinity was able to tell me that, and now I can crop things.  And now I know that there are things in Affinity Photo that cannot be done without key strokes, so I'll start looking for how keys are defined.

No problem, hopefully gained another subscriber on my YouTube Channel :)

• 11 months later...

I don't know if this is still active..cut & paste is just not working for me & I know there must be something simple I'm not doing:

I open 2 separate jpeg images - only 1 pixel layer each, make a selection from one, edit/copy, go to the other image, edit/paste (I try several of the different paste options) & nothing happens.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

While cropping using the crop tool works fine, this is still not the same as cropping based on a selection. I often use the 'Magic Wand' tool to create a selection. Now I want to crop the image to the 'virtual rectangle' around this non-rectangular selection. How do I do this?

Edited by Lefteous

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, upbeat1 said:

I'm testing out the trial version of Affinity Designer for Windows 10. However, not all features are available. I want to remove the Background from a picture but the Convert to Curves is disabled. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @upbeat1. :)

The trial version only imposes a time limit. There are no disabled features.

The ‘Convert to Curves’ function converts parametric shapes (ellipses, stars, etc) to closed curves so that you can manipulate them with the Node Tool. In order to remove the background from a bitmap/raster image you need to make a pixel selection and delete the unwanted area.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 hours ago, IanSG said:

Can this be done in AD?  It's easy in AP though.

Yes, if you switch to the Pixel persona

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2014 at 1:47 PM, agilefalcon said:

Great question to post - this was the very first activity I tried to do. I've done this in half a dozen or more other programs and never needed to resort to outside help. I wonder why that is so complicated to perform in Affinity? What is the significance of the blue bar on the layer? I'm just now trying to locate tutorials that follow some particular order to bring me up to speed.

It's possible that Affinity is targeting the Adobe audience rather than more casual users like myself: I'm an engineer and software developer that still needs to be able to draw to get my point across. So was hoping that Affinity would be the platform to move to now that some of the big players are moving to a subscription model (and I won't be going with them!).

With the very basic select copy/cut paste not functioning in Afinity as it does in practically all other image editing programs, would suggest that the developers are for some reason ignoring standard software mapping and usability/intuitive working in Affinity Photo, which is a big annoyance and let down, and makes no sense