You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to rotate an image (in either program) by a few degrees?

• 9 months later...
On 4/15/2018 at 11:44 AM, kirkmc said:

AF does some amazing things, but this is the kind of thing that makes it incredibly frustrating to use. When I select the crop tool, there's a Rotate button, which works in an odd way. With a photo in 3:2 aspect ratio, it crops the photo as though it were in 2:3. (And the Crop tool is really painful, trying to use custom aspect rations; when I set it to 3:2, it keeps switching to 2:3.

Other photo editing apps let you click a button, drag a bit, and free rotate. The explanation above is hermetic to me:

Okay, I have my layer selected, and the Move tool selected, but where is the Transform panel? Oh, it's the Xfm panel? They why didn't you say so. Enter a value; well, I tried that, and I can't enter anything in that field. 

This is just an example of the frustration I have with this app. So many settings are hidden, or require long explanations to use. Why can't you simply allow a free rotation like most apps, even Apple Photos, offer?

Yep, this is my problem with Affinity in a nutshell. Basic tools that are there, but just so clumsy to use. Curves, a foundational tool .. you can get there eventually, but what is immediate and direct in PS .. like sampling a value in the image with the dropper .. takes an extra step in AP .. and  you can't simply place a node and then use the mouse middle wheel to roll the values up and down precisely .. everything feels gratuitously indirect. Working with masks is even worse. I have spent months trying to learn how to use basic tools that have been familiar in PS for years, across different versions, and am on the point of giving up. Cropping, admittedly never Photoshop's greatest strength, I now do in XnView .. much finer control, much easier to use, and it's basically a freeware image viewer. Image rotations likewise, far simpler and more direct than AP. Even something as basic as checking the effect of an adjustment layer while adjusting it is clumsy. It does pano stitches and focus stacks and a few other things brilliantly, but the interface for the central editing controls is just awful.
Sorry this is a whine. I had such high hopes.

• 1 month later...

does anyone know if affinity can or will in the future get a quick and easy way to rotate while using the paintbrush, i can't even find any decent shortcts ? i'm using a microsoft surface studio pc and although i think they are working on an actual rotating screen i'm sure it would be well out of my budget.

hi, i am trying to find out if affinity will at some time be creating an easy way to rotate the image you are working on, i can't even find a shortcut,    i found a nice app in the microsoft store that rotates the screen but it loses the the app control as soon as affinity  screen is touched.

1 hour ago, mick560 said:

i am trying to find out if affinity will at some time be creating an easy way to rotate the image you are working on, i can't even find a shortcut, 

From the menu, View > Rotate Left (or Right) will rotate the view of the canvas in 15 degree increments. View > Reset Rotation will remove any rotation you've performed. There are no shortcuts for these actions by default, but you can establish your own using Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts, Photo, View.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

Like normal they don't offer even the simplest of functions. You have to rotate the image and then resize the canvas. Almost every crop tool in the known universe offer rotation and life cropping. This garbage makes you hit apply then shows you. So u need to make constant side notes. They need to clean house and get some actual software designers in there. This actually makes them look stupid.

I find its a lot easier if you do the actual photo editing design work and positioning in any other app (I use lightroom free, and procreate) then I bring it to designer to add lettering vector art and export using the only good thing the software offers. Amazing export options. The only reason I keep fighting with designer. 

Edited by Robbkablabla

• 9 months later...

I am so sorry to be a pain.  But when Affinity get so much feedback about so simple a topic as rotating a picture,  I despair.  Photoshop set this up 25 years ago.  You just enter the rotate selection and dial in the + or - degrees you want to rotate.  Affinity is such a pain on some levels and so good on others.  But this is a pain point for me.  Just for goodness sakes make this feature for simple and stupid people like me,  easy!!!!!

The most simple way to rotate an pixel layer by a small angle is to use Develop Persona, Lens Correction, rotate.

You can enter numeric input, or use mouse wheel for increments by 1, 0.1, 10 using ctrl or shift modifier keys. It is totally simple and super exact.

You can do the exact same in transform panel.

The crop tool is a bit complex to use, i complained about that before. But this is not a deal breaker.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Keith Landis said:

I have read through these posts, and just am not able to find where I can make a three degree change to the image.

What specifically do you mean by "the image"? Are you talking about a particular layer in the document, the entire document itself, or just the view of it on your screen?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Keith Landis said:

I have read through these posts, and just am not able to find where I can make a three degree change to the image. I checked to make sure I have the updated version of the software. I used Adobe Photoshop for eighteen years, but just can rotate this image.

Do you have a locked layer?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.