You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to keep the arc of a curve when deleting nodes like Corel Draw

As you can see in the attached image I am trying to figure out how to keep the arc of a shape of line when deleting nodes. On  the left is the Corel Draw X8 example and on the right is the Affinity Design example. Is this possible? Corel Draw can do. Is there a way to do this in AD? Is there some type of setting that can be turned off or on? Please help. Thank you.

post-52501-0-77596600-1487544710_thumb.png

Hold down the Alt/Option key when deleting a node to (more or less) retain the shape of the path going through it. This won't work very well if the shape can't be maintained by modifying the adjacent nodes, or if they are sharp ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It seems it's broken on Windows, at least it doesn't work on my box.

It only works well if the two adjacent control handles of the two adjacent nodes can be lengthened or shortened to maintain the same geometry. Obviously, it won't work if the node to be deleted is sharp (because a sharp node is required to abruptly change the direction of the path). Likewise, if the node is essential to maintain the shape, like if its handles are rotated with respect to the those of the adjacent nodes to create an S-shaped path segment, deleting it will always distort the shape -- otherwise you could delete an arbitrary number of nodes without changing the shape.

You can check the help topic Edit vector curves and shapes on the Windows version to see if it mentions this (& if the key is the same) -- about half way through the topic, there should be a section titled "To delete nodes:" with a note that says the equivalent of this on a Mac:

The curve will automatically reshape because of the deleted node, but you can retain the curve's original geometry by pressing ⌥+ ⌦ key instead.

(⌥ is the symbol for the alt/option key & ⌦ is the one for the Delete key.)

Or maybe try it with a simple shape to see if it works for you. The attached shows what should happen to a Segment shape converted to curves if the circled node is deleted with & without the key held down.

post-3524-0-58490000-1487586379_thumb.jpg

Note the change in the top node & the bottom left corner node in the Alt-Delete vs. the normal Delete method. Hopefully, you will get similar results.

EDIT: Just saw MEB's reply after posting mine. Sorry that this is broken on the Windows version, but it should work as described on the Mac one.

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...