You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

landscape architecture/urban design presentation

ol4f

Hi,

this semester I used for the first time Designer for my final presentation posters in university.

The site plan and the sections are drawn with Vectorworks (CAD software) and exportet as PDF for Designer. I was delighted how easy it was to adjust colors and line width of the vector parts and just switch to pixel persona for some nice background textures. I used Photo to add the diffuse fade out on the edges of the site plan. 

I handled the drawings as individual files and embeded them directly into the final layout file. Only the site plan was to heavy to handle for my late 2011 MPB and so i had to export and embend it as a tiff file. Maybe the size (DIN A0@300dpi) and the live blur filter could be an explanation for this ;)

Feedback welcome!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13340316/RundgangAffinity.pdf(~34mb)

post-15446-0-76960700-1488822495_thumb.png

Hallo ol4f,

deine Plakat gefällt mir, es ist eine gute abstrakte Arbeit, zum Drucken ist sie ausreichend.

Für eine Webseite aber viel zu groß, falls Du diese anzeigen möchtest.

Mit Adobe Acrobat habe ich es mal testweise, ohne die Abmessungen zu ändern reduzieren können und zwar auf 5,28 MB.

Pollux

The work looks good in my unprofessional estimation.

I looked up Vectorworks. $! Yikes. Looks like it is a full blown 3-d modeling and rendering program. Did you get to use it as part of your student class works?

But there were lots of shapes in your work that I suppose could have easily been done w. AD. How much do you think you could re-create just using AD.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delayed response. I have added a screenshot of the document in the first post. I also made smaler jpg version of the whole thing but the forum won‘t upload it.

Hallo ol4f,

deine Plakat gefällt mir, es ist eine gute abstrakte Arbeit, zum Drucken ist sie ausreichend.

Für eine Webseite aber viel zu groß, falls Du diese anzeigen möchtest.

Mit Adobe Acrobat habe ich es mal testweise, ohne die Abmessungen zu ändern reduzieren können und zwar auf 5,28 MB.

Pollux

Ja, PDF Dateigrößen sind immer etwas verwunderlich. Kannst du nachvollziehen, was Acrobat genau gemacht hat? Theoretisch sollte man mit den richtigen Einstellungen in der Export Persona ja ein ähnliches Ergebniss direkt aus AD erreichen.

English summary: PDF filesize is sometimes a little weird. Any Idea about settings for export persona to produce a good looking PDF with a smaller filesize?

The work looks good in my unprofessional estimation.

I looked up Vectorworks. $! Yikes. Looks like it is a full blown 3-d modeling and rendering program. Did you get to use it as part of your student class works?

But there were lots of shapes in your work that I suppose could have easily been done w. AD. How much do you think you could re-create just using AD.

Like with the most other CAD programms you get a free educational version for use in university. For this work I think I used only a small part of the tools an possibility of the programm. Nothing special you can‘t re-create using AD.

It‘s more about how easy and fast you can create it. As CAD/computer-aided design already says the tools like simple rotate and move are made for more accurate work and constructing things and drawings. Also the snapping and so on.

Another very important point is that the drawings got a scale. So you can work with real dimensions and set the needed scale for the plan in the output options. Or use for example the same drawing in 1:500 and with some added information on another layer in 1:100.

For architekture competitions it is a common workflow to draw with a CAD Software and afterwards use Illustrator or Photoshop to make it look nice. And with the whole post I just want to show that Designer can do this job, too. Maybe better.

I have added some sceenshots how it looks in Vectorworks and bevore Designer. Maybe interesting for everyone who never was into the CAD/architecture thing

post-15446-0-00774400-1488824271_thumb.png

post-15446-0-74167500-1488824279_thumb.png

post-15446-0-41793500-1488824290_thumb.png

Hallo ol4f,

​da ich mir den Affinity Designer noch nicht gekauft habe, was aber bestimmt passiert :) ​,  kann ich Dir das nicht genau sagen,

es ist aber kein Problem dir die Datei zukommen zu lassen entweder hier über die Plattform oder auf einem anderen Weg.

​Pollux

Oddly enough, I started my schooling in Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning. After the first year of classes, I realized I wasn't as passionate about it as I thought I was. It was actually an assignment in my landscape graphics class that helped sway me into the graphic design field. Each student had to design a logo for an annual conference the university hosted. I loved the assignment and the final logo I came up with, as did the directors of the conference, so it was chosen as that year's branding. I have that drawing framed and hanging in my bedroom as a reminder of where this all started.