You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Duplicate or Copy change the empty space distance btw. the lines - WHY ?

Duplicate or Copy change the empty space distance btw. the lines - WHY ?

PLEASE HELP

No matter how I copy the group or duplicate multiple circles - the distance between the lines changes in proportion ? Why ?

I want to keep the distances, how to do  that please ?

My steps is :

1. Drawing 10 Circles w. distance (step) of 0,5 mm  (r-10mm, r-9,5mm, r-9mm ......)  :blink:    GREEN COLOR

2. Group this all 

3. Copy and Paste  OR  Duplicate  this Group ! 

4. go to Trasfomation and change Group2 to 5mm X 5mm  RED COLOR 

post-29870-0-62022300-1487522206_thumb.png

5. FxCK look at this  ...

......the Distance between the Circles is NOT 0,5mm Step. IT IS SMALLER !   :angry:  

post-29870-0-58187200-1487522562_thumb.png

post-29870-0-62022300-1487522206_thumb.png

post-29870-0-58187200-1487522562_thumb.png

The program is doing exactly what you asked it to do. If you halve the dimensions of Group2 to make it 5mm x 5mm instead of 10mm x 10mm, then the step/distance will also be halved from 0.5mm to 0.25mm.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi JURI,

The results differ according to the method used to make the hundred circles spaced 1 mm from 100 mm and downwards.

With the copy paste the circles range from 100 to 1 mm with constant spacing and line thickness, while with the power duplicate tool (Ctrl + J), the line thickness and the spacing between circles are reduced at the same time as the size of the circles, whether the scale option of the object is checked or not.

If a constant line spacing and line thickness is desired, Ctrl / Cmd + C and Ctrl / Cmd + V seems to be more appropriate (without activating object scale), despite the length of the operation (starting from the 100 mm circle, copying, paste, change the size of the copy, then copy it and repeat the operation for each of the following circles).

post-37692-0-41047900-1487531510_thumb.png

Ah ok , now ... i understand 

CMD+J   ( a power tool )  affects to the line -  thickness & step size. 

Ctrl/cmd + C  and V ( a handwork tool )  work and doesn't affects  - but not really useable  for my Drawing 100 or more Circles and other shapes.

100 Time Copy / Size Change / Paste  :blink:

So, i have to use some external software or online tools ?! 

Maybe Affinity D. get soon some CHECK BOX to Lock/nonLock this Affects - if i use a CMD + J  power tool ? 

I actually hope that AD will have such a feature in an upcoming update. I am afraid that at the moment it is necessary to go through a third party software such as DrawPlus for example.

I tried it in DrawPlus X8 using the "Shape Gradient" tool and the drawing of the 100 circles is instant. Iif you ever have it, this may be a workaround while maybe the same tool In AD.

You draw the outer circle of 100 mm, then the smallest inner circle of 0.1 mm, both with the same line thickness and the same line color. You align them horizontally and vertically.

Then, with the tool "shape gradient", you click on the outer circle and bring the cursor to the circle of the center (with the left mouse button pressed). You set the number of gradient steps (98 in your case). When you release the mouse button, you have your 100 circles with the same border size and the same gap between them.

You can then export to .pdf and then open the pdf with AD to retrieve your circles (with their layers).

post-37692-0-22838400-1487541832_thumb.png

On 2/19/2017 at 10:03 PM, reglico said:

I tried it in DrawPlus X8 using the "Shape Gradient" tool and the drawing of the 100 circles is instant.

In the English version of DrawPlus, the « Outil Dégradé » is called the "Blend Tool". In the German version it's „Überblenden“.

post-8358-0-84636100-1487547733_thumb.png

post-8358-0-22119100-1487547765_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred,

Thank you for the precision, I had marked degraded forms (Illustrator term to designate this tool if my memories are good) to avoid confusion with color gradation. That's why I almost always attach an annotated screenshot to my posts so that the reader can understand and find the tools more easily despite the problems of language and translation.

I sometimes have some problems understanding some post and I am well helped when a screenshot is attached.

MANY THANKS FOR HELP TO : Reglico & Alfred  :)

Yes this is what i am looking for ! I would like to tryout of this tool!

Maybe someone  Admin of AD would like to send forward to integrate "this tools"

for Drawing PRIMARY Important is :

-Start radius (mm),

-number of objects (1...1000pcs),

-step length (mm) or (%),

-rotation ( ° )   around themselves  or  around other selected object.

And last ...

for Grid Menu SECONDARY, this tool can be used in a GRID MENU to produce a Circular Grid's  !

I think many people get interest about this Tool  :rolleyes:

thx,

JB

• 1 month later...

Seems someone else is also having the same issue with power duplicate. Hopefully we can get some sort of option to to accomplish this.

"Replicate/Blend" is listed on the Affinity Designer feature roadmap, so eventually we should get this feature.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7