You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there any freehand/lasso selection tool in AD ?

Hi, 

Do we have any option to select strokes and shapes using a freehand selection tool in Affinity Designer?

When there are multiples strokes drawn near by and you want to select only a few you want to do it with a freehand selection method . but right the only option of selection (arrow tool) seems to select everything in rectangular selection when you drag the tool. Using shift select each stroke can be very tedious if you are working with a lot of strokes/shapes.

Please let me know  if I am missing something.

thanks 

post-35445-0-96261300-1487489359_thumb.png

Currently, the Move tool only offers a marquee (rectangular) object selection drag method.

You have limited choices in how that works: In Preferences > Tools, there is an option to "Select object when intersects with selection marquee." With that option off, you have to completely enclose objects to select them; with it on any object the marquee touches will be selected. Dragging with the Alt/Option key down prevents the object under the pointer from being selected (& thus dragged to a new location instead of dragging out the marquee). And of course, locked or hidden objects won't be selected by clicking or dragging on the canvas.

But that's it; there is no freehand or polygon selection option for the Move tool.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 5 years later...
1 minute ago, Megnusin said:

I'm just going to voice my support for a freehand or lasso objection selection tool in AD.

You should do that in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/53-feedback-for-affinity-designer-on-desktop/, not here in the Questions forum, after searching that forum for similar requests.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 hours ago, R C-R said:

You should do that in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/53-feedback-for-affinity-designer-on-desktop/, not here in the Questions forum, after searching that forum for similar requests.

Assuming user feedback and suggestions are welcome and encouraged here, it concerns me that such a questionable procedural chicane might give a person the wrong impression.

24 minutes ago, Megnusin said:

Assuming user feedback and suggestions are welcome and encouraged here, it concerns me that such a questionable procedural chicane might give a person the wrong impression.

Why do you think this is chicane?
Having different sections for different topics is quite normal to keep things organized.

Those who work on feature request simply do not read the questions sub-forum. It helps to keep the App price low if users follow agreeable processes and self-service. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

21 hours ago, Megnusin said:

I'm just going to voice my support for a freehand or lasso objection selection tool in AD. Objects you want to select aren't always neatly concentrated for easy encompassment within a rectangle.

As Alfred said above, the Selection Tools are already available in the Pixel Persona of AD!

Untitled.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

32 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

As Alfred said above, the Selection Tools are already available in the Pixel Persona of AD!

And they will not work on the requested ...

On 2/18/2017 at 11:29 PM, artistraman said:

Do we have any option to select strokes and shapes using a freehand selection tool in Affinity Designer?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Sorry, you're right! – All Selection Tools are not equal! 😄

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, Megnusin said:

I hope you're not seriously telling me you have the required access and insight to have made an analysis which conclude

I said nothing of that. Its difficult for me to recognize any good intentions in your post, implying falsehoods about my post, and implying chicane by Affinity.

I’m an ordinary forum user and simply tried to understand the forum guidelines and follow them for the benefit of all members.

I’m stepping out of this discussion for good. Have a nice peaceful evening.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I’m an ordinary forum user and simply tried to understand the forum guidelines and follow them for the benefit of all members.

You and I have agreed to the same guidelines when signing up. I can't find anything in the guidelines that forbid expressing feedback in a thread on a relevant topic outside the feedback category.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Its difficult for me to recognize any good intentions in your post

Quite frankly, I think bringing up the costs of the Affinity applications as an argument was specious if not outright condescending. If my attempt to point out the absurdity in that as well as the prior point in a colorful way wasn't well received, then I apologize for that. You have a pleasant evening as well.

6 minutes ago, Megnusin said:

You and I have agreed to the same guidelines when signing up. I can't find anything in the guidelines that forbid expressing feedback in a thread on a relevant topic outside the feedback category.

Quite frankly, I think bringing up the costs of the Affinity applications as an argument was specious if not outright condescending. If my attempt to point out the absurdity in that as well as the prior point in a colorful way wasn't well received, then I apologize for that. You have a pleasant evening as well.

To quote NotMyFault

I’m stepping out of this discussion for good. Have a nice peaceful evening.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Megnusin said:

There is nothing in the guidelines that prevents this, but it is almost pointless to do so because the staff have mentioned many, many times that the developers -- the people that actually design the code -- do not follow the Questions forum. This is because their job is not to answer questions -- which would leave very little time for them to actually work on the code -- but to develop it.

However, they do follow the feedback forums, which is why -- if you look -- you will find so many recommendations from other users to post feature requests there instead of in this forum.

Of course, you are free to post feedback here but please keep in mind that it is unlikely to ever be considered by anyone who can do anything about it.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R Thank you. I appreciate the consideration and the clarification of what's allowed.

@Old Bruce I'm not sure what your point is. I thought I made it clear I wasn't going to continue that discussion either, but I do think I'm entitled to respond to accusations leveled against me by someone on their way out. In case you missed it:

If my attempt to point out the absurdity in that as well as the prior point in a colorful way wasn't well received, then I apologize for that. You have a pleasant evening as well.

17 hours ago, Megnusin said:

procedural chicane

An interesting approach. But one would expect that it is in everyone's interest (that is, if he wants his request to be heard) and it is a matter of "common sense" that he puts his request where the chances of being heard and thus of any implementation are highest.

On the other hand, 

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

that the developers -- the people that actually design the code -- do not follow the Questions forum.

developers do not need to "read" forum posts. I assume that Serif (like perhaps every serious development company) has its own requirements and bug management system. Then "anyone" from Serif, when he comes across the forum (and of course not only here, but also during testing, using, etc.), reports an bug or request to this system, which the developers then read. Thus, the actual implementation of the request or fix is not decided by the "reading" of the request on the forum itself, but by the internal development management process. By that I mean that developers don't read / have to read the forum because they don't need it for their work at all. Only stimuli and information flow / can flow from it, which are then used / processed in development management.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I assume that Serif (like perhaps every serious development company) has its own requirements and bug management system.

Bug management & new feature development are two different things. Each of them has a set of forums specifically for reporting & discussing them, & guidelines for how that should be done in those forums. The desktop questions forum is not intended for either of them.

As I understand it, that is how they want this to work.

Affinity Photo