You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Video editor.for Windows?

I use iMovie to make simple videos I upload to YouTube.

I love iMovie but it's frustrating to see the Windows PCs and laptops get all the latest CPUs and graphics processors.

Has Affinity ever thought about a video editor?

My focus would be on doing similar tasks the same way in my different movies so I would like to store favorites and most especially have plenty of keyboard shortcuts.

I love iMovie shortcuts like E or Command T or Option-Slash (/)

If you ever make a video editor for Windows I'd love to test it

• Staff

Has Affinity ever thought about a video editor? ..

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Do you mean there are no current plans for one, or there will not be one at all?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

sorry for making some ad .. but i prefer Davinci Resolve for Editing Videos, cause it's free.

More and more people bring that up. I may need to finally check it out.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

+1 Davinci Resolve. But do realize that Resolve is industry standard professional grade colour grading software, and it may prove to be rather intimidating to users accustomed to iMovie or Windows MovieMaker. Also, it requires good hardware.

Having said this, I also use Resolve for my video editing purposes. It rocks.

How does it handle motion? Another one which I found out is free is Hitfilm Express. The lightning effect at around 17:22 of this video got me hooked.

How does it handle motion? Another one which I found out is free is Hitfilm Express. The lightning effect at around 17:22 of this video got me hooked.

Here is a direct link to 17:17 on that video.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

oh wow thanks for that thing, i only need basic cutting and export to youtube.. it's mostly a grading tool with basic cutting. So i dont think it can do Motion Tracking or Stuff like that.. :/ 

... i dont think it can do Motion Tracking or Stuff like that.. :/ 

I've heard people recommending DaVinci Resolve before, but never paid much attention because I though there must be some sort of catch.  However, seeing the posts here prompted me to check it out a bit more in depth this time and it looks really good.  The tracking and stabilisation controls are in the middle pane of the 'Color' persona (as opposed to the 'Edit' persona).  See the following videos:

Tracking and stabilisation tutorials:

Motion Tracking - Cloud Tracker

Motion Tracking - Point Tracker

Motion Tracking - FX Tracker

Tracking Windows Through Obstructions

Rotoscoping

Image Stabilisation

The full 'Goat's Eye View' playlist starting from episode 1 can be found here:

DaVinci Resolve 12 Tutorial - Full Playlist

Thanks. I don't know how to add direct links.

oh wow thanks for that thing, i only need basic cutting and export to youtube.. it's mostly a grading tool with basic cutting. So i dont think it can do Motion Tracking or Stuff like that.. :/ 

I don't know since I haven't used it for myself, but I wonder if the Transform category in the Controls tab is what does motion. Like After Effects, the Transform option is where to edit keyframes.

I've heard people recommending DaVinci Resolve before, but never paid much attention because I though there must be some sort of catch.  However, seeing the posts here prompted me to check it out a bit more in depth this time and it looks really good.  The tracking and stabilisation controls are in the middle pane of the 'Color' persona (as opposed to the 'Edit' persona).  See the following videos:

Rotoscoping

Image Stabilisation

That is amazing that all of that is free.

Thanks. I don't know how to add direct links.

Maybe you didn't know before, Brian, but you should know now! When you look at the end of the link I posted, you'll see that it says &t=17m17s after the main URL. If you stop the video at 17:17, right-click on it and choose "Copy video URL at current time", you'll get

which is the shortened version with the time in seconds.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Maybe you didn't know before, Brian, but you should know now! When you look at the end of the link I posted, you'll see that it says &t=17m17s after the main URL. If you stop the video at 17:17, right-click on it and choose "Copy video URL at current time", you'll get

which is the shortened version with the time in seconds.

Oh thanks for that tip. I always just copied the webpage's URL. I never right clicked the video itself.

And don't forget that Fusion is also a free download, and available for Mac in case you need professional level compositing with animation and 3d integration.

Do realize that the free versions of both Resolve and Fusion have a limit of 4K (UHD) resolution. But that should not be an issue for anyone outside of professional circles.

It's amazing these tools are available for free.

Rotoscoping

Image Stabilisation

THanks for researching.. this is awesome! ^^ .. 

For Tracking i only used Blender.. which is also nice for CG stuff. 

(See youtube)

Affinity would be mad to create their own video editor. There are a lot of video editor products out there on both the Mac and PC sides. I don't see what they could bring to the table that isn't already catered for.

If they were to look at doing an alternative to After Effects, this would make good business sense. There is no alternative to After Effects out there - and the demand for an alternative is clear. The Motion graphics market is growing all the time as the demand for video content grows. An Affinity Mograph product would be very popular.

One can only hope...

• 1 month later...

Ever heard about Kdenlive !!

It's free open source software

There are lots of tutorials about Kdenlive to find on Youtube

Just give it a try....

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

I have not. I am not too crazy about the interface, but it doesn't mean it can't be good. I have iMovie, but it does have its limitations. What I really want is to be able to apply the same duration throughout multiple image clips to create a flipbook style video, and I also want to be able to animate images and videos manually (position, opacity, scale, etc).

Corel Video Studio and Cyberlink Power Director were probably my favorites out there, but they don't run on Mac. But hey, this topic is on Windows.

You made a mention of Filmora. I purchased it back when it was Wondershare Video Editor, and it worked very well for me. Since I'm on Mac now, I haven't been able to switch it over to see the latest features. Do you know if it now supports multiple video and audio tracks, multiple durations, and keyframing?

I have heard Wondershare software are chinese copies of open source code. You might want to check that.

There are several good free video editors available, try them.

EDIT: I mean, why pay money for copy software when you can download and use Hitfilm or Resolve for free?

I am aware that there are two other video editors than the main one, Filmora, and those are Aimersoft Video Editor and iSkysoft Video Editor. But I think iSkysoft's editor may have discontinued. On their website, they feature a link right to Filmora instead of still featuring their own video editor.

Yes, I could give some other free ones a try. I am just so use to a certain layout and features.

I was taking a look on Wondershare's website, because I'm interested in trying the latest features in the video editor Schroeder mentioned, Filmora. Wow! Serif Labs should be very familiar with it's new website template. It looks almost exactly identical to the previous Serif website template. Old time users should know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I look forward to trying this out. I see that a lot more has been implemented since I last used it.