You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I rotate layer while its image is enlarged?

That is, the control handles are not visible. I'm trying for a precise rotation.

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB; HD replaced with SSD

Could one set up a macro to rotate a small amount, say half a degree, and then run it on the enlarged image that doesn't show the handles?

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Why not use the Transform panel for this?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Transform is almost the answer. Mousing the slider to rotate the image is too coarse; needs a modifier key to reduce the rotation to (say) one tenth the default. 

Also on first tries the panel behaves unexpectedly: does not always rotate around the selected point; canvas drifts rather than rotates; selected (duplicate) layer twice disappeared.

For precise rotation, which is what you asked about, you can enter the rotation value directly in the Transform panel text entry field. Rotation occurs around the selected anchor point in the panel (the nine squares on the left side of the panel).

You can also click directly on the "R:" text label & drag left or right without having to use the slider. This will rotate in 1° increments if you drag slowly. If you have a mouse or equivalent with a scroll wheel you can hover the pointer over the text entry field & change its values with the scroll wheel. If you hold down the Option key while doing this it will increment by 0.1°, otherwise by 1° increments. Hold down the Shift key instead & it will change by 10° increments.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Wonderful, exactly what I was hoping for!

I didn't think to look for this since it wasn't mentioned in the PDF help I was looking at.

Rotation is behaving correctly now. Will post a note elsewhere if issues recur.