You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Lines Smoothing, Brushes, etc...

I have the latest version of AD and I'm coming from Xara. I've searched here, and watched numerous videos, just can't seem to get a handle on the line and brush tools in this program. I've seen many requests here to use videos to help explain my story.

Here is a video on how to do it in Xara easy peasy. 

Here is a AD video on me trying to do line smoothing.

Here is a AD Video on me trying to use vector brushes 

I've seen some posts saying that smoothing is really not good yet. So how is everyone dealing with this issue.

The vector brush issues confuses the hell out of me since any settings I use does not seem to work. I've tried every type of controller setting and the line just appears the same maybe somewhat thicker. I did experiment with Profiles and was able to tweak the line a little, but all of this seems like a lot of work compared to Xara. Any help with getting brushes to work would be helpful. 

Thanks.

Umm,does your hardware meet the program specs?  Myself, I can not draw a line as jaggy as your showed. When I draw a similar line, I get an already smooth line w. just 7 -8 nodes. Vector brush w. a pad, similar.

post-34886-0-61432100-1487376325_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hmm, very strange I knew something was not correct. Running windows 10, on ssd drive, 16 GB of memory, AMD A10-5800K, latest drivers, etc... Everything I draw in AD is very jaggy... Xara, CorelDraw, Adobe Products, do not have this issue. I'm using a logitech mouse (standard Windows Drivers).  I have Photo same thing. 

Perhaps pose a question about support for the processor. I came across a review from 4 months ago that the AMD A10-5800K has a number of proprietary instruction sets that not all software uses. That's about the time AD for Windows was released.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet