You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smooth vector brush

Helle

Hi ( all new user)

I am searching for a brush that is very smooth and pure vector and can be used for freehand drawing. Is that possible?
I have tried a few, but none is really smooth and I am not sure it can be smoothed out at a later state?

Using Wacom Intous 4-5 and having some issues when "pressure" is turned on, it's not responding very well?

Hope somebody out there have a brush to share :-)

regards H :-)

I think both you and I will love one of the free updates coming to 1.6 around Easter.

Joke: Alfred likes to think it's May 15th.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Helle, May 15th is a mistake I made in a previous topic, but I had to put the blame on someone. Haha.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Be aware that you can also make your own vector brushes, but it is a bit more complicated than making regular raster brushes.

okay :-)

Looked at the video - looks a bit weird though. Hope they make it like a normal brush tip and not as if the line is lacking behind the stroke :-)

For the type of smoothing that they show in the video, it's hard to know how they could do it without the "pulled string" approach.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just trying it out and are not even near creating my own brushes :-) that's why I ask if anybody have made a smooth brush

I don't know any off hand, but I can teach you how to make a vector brush.

Set the canvas to a complete square so each side is the same size, and close it down close to the design's edges. (The left and right sides must overlap the design.) Make sure the furthest left part of the design matches the furthest right part of the design on the vertical axis. The background must be black, and the design must be white. Export your design as an image file (preferably PNG). In the Brushes studio, click open the hamburger menu, and select "New Textured Intensity Brush." Now double click that new brush, and in the new window, the bottom picture shows a preview. Move the red indicators to touch the brush's edges. And select "Repeat" if you want to repeat that brush stroke.

For the type of smoothing that they show in the video, it's hard to know how they could do it without the "pulled string" approach.

In other programs like Krita or Clip Studio Paint, the ink travels slower and stays further behind the cursor depending on how much weight is applied. The weight equals the distance. Whereas, other programs like Sketchbook Pro and Lazy Nezumi use the string. (Well Nezumi actually does both.)

Illustrator, Xara and some IPad apps like Adobe Ideas does the smoothing the minute you let go of your pencil, which I kind of like :-)

Bleduc:As I see it, it does not create a vector brush, more like an image brush with a control line? I tried to expand and export it in different format - all came in as images in Illustrator. If that's the case, I can't really use it because I need it to work with other vector programs :-(

Bleduc:As I see it, it does not create a vector brush, more like an image brush with a control line? I tried to expand and export it in different format - all came in as images in Illustrator. If that's the case, I can't really use it because I need it to work with other vector programs :-(

That is the downside. The imported vector brushes are image based, so they can't be expanded. It's the same as some of the brushes already installed like the rope and chain.

Sorry that doesn't work for you. Something else that I may suggest, may help or may not, is the Smooth Curve button. After you draw a stroke, then with the Node or Pen Tool selected, click on the third option in the "Action" set continuously.

Thanks for trying to help bleduc

.. so that means it's impossible to get a pure vector brush at all?
I never use image based brushes in any vector software :-(
I had hoped for a freehand smooth flowing brush. The kind that would be useful when "tracing" my pencil drawings.

You're welcome, and no it's not impossible. All of the vector brushes in the "Basic" category are pure vector and can be expanded. I guess it depends on what kind of smoothness you are actually looking for.

So noone can create/has created custom vector brushes?

Yes, they have, but it's hard to help when what you describe is already in the program. The Basic brush presets and Pencil Tool already perform freehand strokes that are pure vector. And they are adjustable with the Node Tool, and they can be expanded. Everything you described is already there. Let me ask this since you brought up Illustrator's Pencil Tool. What does that one have that you like better? I noticed you said that the lines smooth on release, but so do the ones in Affinity. It has the same line quality. If it's the fact that the lines are too jaggedy, then I understand that, but a brush preset wouldn't change that since it relates to the tool and shaky hand. If that is the case, that is why I added that link in my first post.

I see now. It looks like there were indeed some compatibility problems, but I can see on this topic that they varied for different users. Some faced issues. Some didn't. Since you already set the Controller option to "Pressure," one last thing you can try is to download and install the latest drivers on the Wacom website. Sometimes, the solution is as simple as updating your drivers and then a system restart. I hope this helps.