You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Basic CAD tools

It would be desirable to include basic CAD tools in a future version. Just straight line tool, Compass to draw circle and arcs, dimensioning both straight lines and angles. I think this would make the drawing package more useful even though the app is an illustration app. Especially so in the MAC platform.

A lot of "illustration" would benefit from some basic features in this area.

A smart, efficient and simple tool set for creating basic shapes with maybe some interactivity for non-destructively editing the shapes after they're created would be desirable. 

I was thinking more like another option on the basic shape tools, not something to draw up your next renovation project with.  :mellow:

As mentioned in the first post. Very basic.  ;) Arcs, angles, lengths etc... could be a toggle on or off when desired and only for a few tools where it makes sense.

I do not know how I feel about this but this video potential excites me 

+1 for this request. I use Affinity to design armature for stop motion puppets, and at the moment this is the one thing I really miss.

I love to see some of your work? Would you mind sharing?

Hey Ronnie where did you get that video? I thought it was a Astute plugin for illustrator until I saw the url at the end.

Looks pretty cool... is it the new rounding feature? ... d-rool, d-rool ...  :)

• Staff

It's me playing with the new Corner Tool - I'm still tinkering with it, unfortunately, but it'll be ready to pop into the beta soon :)

You wouldn't believe how much maths is involved in this thing!?! I still keep thinking - "Should've just done the easy version, should've done the easy version!" but I wanted to write the good version, so it's taking me a while, sorry! On the plus side, I've just written the functionality we need to make a Contour Tool and I could rewrite the boolean operations now to be much faster and more accurate - so that's good :)

Basic CAD tools would be great. :)

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

Really prefer to wait a little more to get a super Corner Tool, a Contour Tool and accurate boolean operations than a a quicker simpler Corner Tool by a large margin Matt. Take your time. Meanwhile Ronnie isn't alone drooling over that video.... eheh

If I +1 this does it mean I 2x myself? lol

@retrograde: on vimeo

• 3 years later...

In the beginning when I was using DrawPlus and Publisher Serif used to ring up to flog the latest version. Every time I suggested that DrawPlus have a bit more CAD in the method of operation. Obviously this has not happened, but at least I could import .dxf files from CAD programmes. Very well it does it too. I still use the last version of Drawplus. Why on earth Ability does not have .dxf import at least is beyond me. Must be a licencing thing. They must be missing out on thousands of sales, or maybe those of us with a technical need are the minority that marketing ignore.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, samasher said:

There is this plug-in for Illustrator: https://www.hotdoor.com/cadtools.  Does it also work with Affinity Designer?

No. Designer does not support plug-ins.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...