You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Much improved PDF-Import

I know, tedious, not so spectacular like other feature wishes surely, but the pdf import is really really bad. I always import pdf's from Adobe Ideas (love this tool, shame on you Adobe for what you did with it) and I always have to import into Draw first, export as SVG and then import into AD.

PDF-Import like it is now is really really ... bad (did I already mention this?)

Well,

really really bad ... top1 on my list of bad pdf importers, the worst, I think I said that already, sorry ...

bad ....

please fix

please ...

• Staff

Okay, we get the idea... but for other people they're saying it's really, really good... It's all down to the exact PDFs - if you're having problems with PDFs from Adobe Ideas, why not attach a couple for us and then we can actually fix whatever is wrong with them - that would benefit everyone.

It's not necessarily that PDF import is bad generally, it's far more likely that PDF import of PDFs made in Adobe Ideas is bad - that is something that may be much easier to fix.

As I said, any files that could help show us problems will be gratefully received and will actually help improve things, thanks :)

Matt

Have you tried toggling the "Favour editable text" option in Preferences? If that doesn't help, the next beta(*) has some tweaks that may improve text, if that's where your problem lies.

Otherwise, can you say more precisely why it is bad? PDF is a huge specification and different people care about different parts of it.

(*) make that "a future beta". It's part of some other work that isn't quite finished yet.

Edited by Dave Harris
a future beta

I'm sorry, my bad. I already had sent some samples where the text was handled, so I couldn't really use it directly (text was merged into one, so editing broke it all.)

Let me quickly attach a simple drawing I have made with Adobe Ideas. Like I said, I have no problem with any other app, neither on my iPad nor on my Mac, it's only AD. It's just this extra step which I don't like as this can always brake.

In AD I have no grouped layers, so it's impossible to do any editing. I have to import it in iDraw, export as SVG and then import into AD.

For the other thing (merging of text), please have a look at my other thread where I have attached all files and screenshots. And yes, I have toggled the preference switch.

SchlafPilotSchlaf (1).pdf

This is how it looks in iDraw so you have an idea.

post-1545-0-85715400-1418045512_thumb.jpeg

I'm known as being very modest :), so yes, if you could fix this and the way you merge text that should normally remain splitted, you would easily be able to strike through two todos from your huge list and make little ol' me very very happy :))