You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can anyone give me a hint what am I doing wrong here. I used to be able to work with inpainting tool with no problems. Now it does not seem to do anything. My computer is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with latest Sierra. Affinity Photo is 1.5.1.

Here you can see what I mean:  https://youtu.be/J-U5fLWC5Lg

Thanks for your help

TimoK

• Staff

Hey TimoK, just watched the video, that's really odd. Have you changed any of the advanced brush settings (under More on the context toolbar)? Does it fail to work with any image that you open?

It's worth suggesting that you try and clear your user settings - before you do, though, you could try downloading the customer beta from this thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/35421-affinity-photo-customer-beta-152-beta-4/

The beta settings are completely separate and won't interfere with your main version of Photo. Could you perhaps give the beta a try and see if the issue happens with that too?

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi, i have discovered this bug too. All you need to do is just use some paint tool on the layer where you want to use inpainting brush tool. Just turn paint brush, paint something. Undo this, and then you can use inpainting brush tool. It doesnt work when you open photo and want to use only it.

Hope creator will fix this in next version.

• Staff

Hi vinci,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

What you are describing is a different situation. The Inpainting Brush Tool only works on (Pixel) layers (check the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel). If you are working with an (Image) layer type you need to convert it to (Pixel) layer first - right-clicking the Image layer in the Layers panel and selecting Rasterise...- to be able to use the Inpainting Brush tool.

The Paint Brush Tool seems to do the trick because it rasterises the image layer type automatically for you (note when you paint with it Affinity notifies you on the top right corner that the layer has been rasterised). When you perform the undo step it just undo the strokes you painted but not the conversion from an image layer to a pixel layer type, so it remains as an pixel layer type and the Inpainting Brush Tool works as expected.

The Paint Brush Tool seems to do the trick because it rasterises the image layer type automatically for you (note when you paint with it Affinity notifies you on the top right corner that the layer has been rasterised). When you perform the undo step it just undo the strokes you painted but not the conversion from an image layer to a pixel layer type, so it remains as an pixel layer type and the Inpainting Brush Tool works as expected.

I've often thought that the Inpainting Brush Tool and the Selection Brush Tool should invoke the same automatic rasterization of Image layers as the Paint Brush Tool does. It seems rather inconsistent that they don't.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, 

I tried that beta version and it really works fine. Resetting my installed version 1.5.1 did not bring any help. I guess I should continue working with that beta from now on. Thanks for sharing that with me. And yes, it is the same thing with any type of image. 

Timo K

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I have the same problem in 1.5.1.54 (in my case on Windows). When I use inpainting tool, I can see "calculating window", but that's all. I tried reopen picture, used some brush tool before, but nothing helped. 

As a newbie, I would like to ask - where to find beta 1.5.2 even for Windows? (if its exist) Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh! Now the beta will not launch anymore. Says I need a purchased version which I indeed already have. I reinstalled the latest version again. Inpainting does not work... buggar  :( .

Customer beta versions won't run once they have been superseded by a retail version update. The latest Affinity Photo for Mac retail version is 1.5.2. If the Affinity Photo menu "About" item does not say you have version 1.5.2 installed, go to the App Store, click on the "Updates" tab & click on the "Update" button for AP.

If you are still having this problem with the latest version, check the "More" settings for the inpainting brush as James suggested.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have the same problem.

The problem in your case is that the brush opacity (on the Context toolbar) is set to 0%. Change the setting to 100% and try again.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi manuel3214,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

With the Inpainting Tool selected check the brush opacity in the context toolbar (right above the work area). If it's set to 0% change it to 100%.

Make sure you have the correct layer selected in the Layers panel - not an adjustment layer or a mask. It must be a pixel layer.

• Staff

Hi manuel3214,

It must work in all circumstances.

Which OS are you using - macOS, Windows, iOS?

Can you give us more details about about what's going on/what steps are you taking and post a screenshot with the Layers panel visible and the Inpainting Tool selected so we can see/check what you are experiencing?

• 4 weeks later...

I still have this issue. I tried reinstalling, clearing user settings. Nothing works. I guess I should try to remove all possible files connected to AP i.e. to make a clean install. How can I remove everything (prefs etc.)The previous beta worked fine, now this 1.5.2. does not. Any ideas anyone?

I still have this issue. I tried reinstalling, clearing user settings. Nothing works. I guess I should try to remove all possible files connected to AP i.e. to make a clean install. How can I remove everything (prefs etc.)The previous beta worked fine, now this 1.5.2. does not. Any ideas anyone?

The current release versions are 1.5.x but the beta versions are 1.6.x. As James Ritson mentioned earlier in the thread, the settings for the retail version and the beta version are completely separate.

Alfred spacer.png

• 3 years later...