You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi psycleworkz,

Welcome to the forums.

The print dialogue in Affinity doesn't have an option for colour separation, this may be added in the future once we've released Affinity Publisher. You could setup spot colours and export to PDF.

• 2 years later...

I have been using PagePlus to send to my printer. We have a black and a spot colour. He suggested using CMYK and using one of the colours, in our case Cyan for the spot. He would output Black and Cyan and drop the two other colours as they would be blank. This worked well for ten years and now he can't work with Publisher! Is there any way to be able to print separations as with PagePlus. Otherwise Publisher is not what we need, more is the pity!

• 7 months later...

I have a AD-Document which contains an image and graphics which all are C0, M0, Y0 and K0-100. However I can export it in every fashion possible in AD - I always get a File that shows CMYK-values when opened in Illustrator or Acrobat to check the separation. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help.

Alex

PS: I love AD and Apub a ton! However export is still in many ways quite unintuitive and unpredictable.

Karte-SW.afdesign

47 minutes ago, abra100pro said:

I have a AD-Document which contains an image and graphics which all are C0, M0, Y0 and K0-100. However I can export it in every fashion possible in AD - I always get a File that shows CMYK-values when opened in Illustrator or Acrobat to check the separation. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help.

Alex

PS: I love AD and Apub a ton! However export is still in many ways quite unintuitive and unpredictable.

Karte-SW.afdesign

See the attached pdf. Your image isn't grayscale. The curves adjustment affects the image as well even if the image is corrected. The document should actually be CMYK. Then everything needs to be corrected for what is black/shades of black including your inner/outer shadows.

The pdf is correct in Acrobat and if I open that pdf in my AI.

Karte-SW-2.pdf

40 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

... When correct export settings are used (no profile embedding, no forced color space conversion), the file comes out just in gray and would probably be more or less ok for printing. ...

Using this method knocks off 8% black from what should likely be 100% K, like the bottom panel. But this also affects the image, drop shadows, glow etc. This would be appropriate (or thereabouts) if going to newsprint, though I would still use a specific newsprint profile to begin with).

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2017 at 7:18 AM, Lee D said:

Hi psycleworkz,

Welcome to the forums.

The print dialogue in Affinity doesn't have an option for colour separation, this may be added in the future once we've released Affinity Publisher. You could setup spot colours and export to PDF.

On 2/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, Lagarto said:

Yes, it should be a topic of its own, mentioning clearly the problems Affinity apps have in prodcing grayscale for K (black-only) printing. Documents in Grayscale mode always turn to CMYK no matter what (or probably RGB => eventually 4-color CMYKbecause of export defaults force conversion that results in four-color black) .

When correct export settings are used (no profile embedding, no forced color space conversion), the file comes out just in gray and would probably be more or less ok for printing.

grayscale_settings.jpg.fd995981a612b27f86472ac01673e532.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention also that the basic export profile should be "PDF (for print)", so PDF/X-based profiles cannot be used. The alternative route would require converting the document color mode to CMYK and adjust every effect and color definition to force K only. This way PDF/X based profiles could be used.

Bleeds -- are they needed or not?

Karte-SW_gray.pdf 249.71 kB · 2 downloads

Hello.

Fairly new to Affinity. Been experimenting with color separations.

Set up a spot color and exported to PDF. It does work as Lee commented. See attached. Be sure "Honor spot colors" is selected, which IS by default for ALL default PDF presets.

"Embed profiles" and "Convert image color spaces" being checked or unchecked does not affect spot colors being written to the PDF as some default PDF presets have them checked and some don't. I'd expect these options are affecting the color workflow/color gamut of how colors are being represented on screen and/or being defined for an output device.

However, it is VERY IMPORTANT that colors are defined properly in the "Swatches" panel for it to work. For info by Affinity see links below.

Quick note:  "Document" swatch palettes honor both global and/or spot color characteristics, "Application" swatch palettes only honor spot colors, and "System" swatch palettes DO NOT honor either. A swatch in a DOCUMENT palette defined as a spot color can be control-clicked on to be made a global color. Control-click on it again, and overprint on/off can be accessed. Creating a global color from scratch can be set to spot and/or overprint.

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panels/swatchesPanel.html?title=Swatches panel

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Clr/globalClr.html?title=Global colors

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Clr/spotClr.html?title=Spot colors

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Clr/overprint.html?title=Overprinting

Best regards,

Carl

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 4.25.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 4.25.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 2.04.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 5.35.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 6.11.54 PM.png