You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add more objects into a symbol

• Staff

Hi Devil_Inside,

Drag an instance of the symbol you have created from the Symbols panel to the canvas, then add the objects you want to that instance (drag their corresponding layers to inside the Symbols layer in the Layers panel). The original Symbol in the Symbols panel should update accordingly.

I swear I tried this like 50 times before creating this thread and it wouldn't add the new layer to the symbol (the symbol in the Symbols panel wouldn't update, and the newly added layer wouldn't have the orange bar on the left of the icon although being inside the symbol hierarchy).

I tried creating a new instance from the symbols panel now and it worked this time.

I'll try to reproduce and report the issue it if happens again.

Thanks a lot for a quick reply!

• 3 months later...

I'm having this problem on Windows version 1.5.2.58. I have a rounded rectangle shape which I create into a symbol. I make multiple copies of the symbol on my artboard. Because I want to load the shape up with text, I am creating a rectangle that is slightly smaller than the symbol to allow for whitespace and will ultimately turn this into a text frame. I colored it red to make sure it is easy to see. When I drag it into the symbol container on the layers panel above the original rounded rectangle, it adds it into the one single instance of the symbol and doesn't add the orange margin, which explains why it is not being added to all the symbol instances. All of the videos I've watched shows that this should work. If, instead, I drag it into the symbol container below the original rounded rectangle, it comes in with a broken dashed orange margin, so still not added to the other symbol instances. I then undo this test because it isn't what I want, and the shape I'm trying to add retains an orange margin gradient like the symbol containers. The only way I can get the rectangle added into the symbol container the way I want it is to drag it within the original shape so it becomes grouped within the rounded rectangle shape which is within the rounded rectangle symbol. Then it adds it to all the symbols, but I want it to be at the same level as the rounded rectangle, not within it. If I undo this test, it behaves as the prior one, retaining a gradient orange margin.