You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with dash line on affinity designer

Hi all, 

I have problem with dash line that not working in my AD. I've created a line and i clicked on the "dash" icon on stroke style, but why it is not showing the result on my artwork?

Anyone can help me on this please?

Attached is the screen capture for your reference.

Thanks

Jen

Hmm strange, works for me with AD 1.5.4 on OSX, try to deselect and then reselect again the line.

post-49706-0-15742300-1487265342_thumb.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Perhaps the line actually has 3 nodes, not 2. I was able to recreate something similar. 1st I draw a vertical pen stroke, and set the dashes as you illustrated. I had the expected result. Then I drew another line, pen set to polygon mode, and made a third node on top of the starting node. It appears a solid line.

But it I use the node tool, and set the node to curve, and drag, a bowed line w. dashes appears, connected to a vertical line w. dashes.

Here are pics:

post-34886-0-11743400-1487265471_thumb.jpgpost-34886-0-16977700-1487265475_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Hi jensonlee,

It doesn't work because the line has a pressure profile applied. Do the following: select the line, change it to a Solid Line Style in the stroke width popup in the context toolbar then click the Pressure button and delete the 3 nodes in the middle of the pressure curve. Change back to Dash Line Style and it should work as expected.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I have two blocks of colour and wish to separate them with a dotted line. I've tried adding arrows to the ends of the line and blowing it up to stupid sizes but all I have is the pink original line. I am using AD 1.8.2.620, and I have a 4k screen. I use an nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 with studio drivers 442.19.

Hi,

I'm trying a similar exercise with two blocks of colour divided by a dotted line. The line is at the top of the stack, but I cannot get the line to show at all, just the single pixel version. The pressure trick that solved the last problem doesn't work for me. I'm trying with v1.8.2.620 on a Win10 Pro machine with a GTX1080 running studio drivers v422.19. Any ideas?

Thanks,

B

Designer_2020-03-23_23-09-34.png

Edited by BeeVee

• Staff

Hi BeeVee,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You have set the stroke's colour opacity to 0%. Click the Stroke Fill colour well in the context toolbar and set the Opacity slider (Colour tab) on the bottom of the pop-up to 100%. If it says Noise there, click the small circular colour well on the right of the Noise label to switch it to Opacity.

I've worked with dash lines for years in Affinity Designer and also Publisher, and all of a sudden I have the same problem. I've read the above and believe I have done what you suggested MEB. Here is a line in a test that will not respond to the dash options although it is normal in every other way. Thanks for your help. 

Line Test.afpub

Back again with a file that shows that there might be a bug in APub.

1. The dashed line in APub will not work. I had to go to ADesigner and make it the way I wanted it and import it into my APub doc. In previous APub docs I did not have this problem but now it is consistently a problem. There may be a workaround, but I should not have to go that route.

2. Although this should be on a different thread, it may be related. After making a line (curve), I usually use the Art text tool which has worked in the past. Now, however, the line on the stroke will not disappear when using the Art text too.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dash lin_Apub-AD.afpub

Thanks, Lagarto. I realize that Affinity "thinks" that I want to create the stroke with the same parameters as I previously made so it continues to do this. Thus I had to change the parameters and then recreate the stork or text on line before I Affinity "learns" what I want. Affinity's "trying to help" sometimes makes problems until one realizes this. One also can copy something already as desired and edit to get around this.

The reason I say this is that I tried everything in the properties of the stroke I attached above, but nothing changes. I've use the above work around to solve this but wanted to show you the two properties panels, first the one for the text on line in my "line test" above in which the curve for the text appears, and the second for the correct text on line that I made in AD. When time allows let me know what I'm doing wrong. Many thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.06.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.07.08 PM.png