You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to fill these different areas

ok so I have created the outer line first, then done the expand stroke, geometry divide technique to create the inner offset path, then created the shorter joining lines to create the 3d effect. what i can't work out is how to apply different colours, gradients to these shapes as they don't exist as shapes.

whats the quickest way to convert them into individual shapes? with their own fill?

any help really appreciated

thanks

post-3074-0-73471200-1417962389_thumb.jpg

I would select everything, option drag to make a copy and use the "divide" boolean command in the upper tool bar. This will slice everything into individual pieces. Then grab the pieces you want to colour, move them back into place. get rid of the bits you don't want...  :)

Hi retrograde,

Tried the technique and it doesn't work.

I create a copy of the initial paths, 7 in total, create copy, select all, use divide in Boolean control.

My result is just 2 shapes/paths. The parallel inner and outer paths.

The 5 small joining paths just disappear.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regard

Kevin

Sorry, unlike illustrator, I believe currently the paths may need to be closed as well to work properly.

Heres a screenshot of the basic steps. There is some cleanup to do in in step 4 after step 3 but this should get you on your way.

(note: when I first tried this, I also included the grey object in the divide and it produced a ton of unwanted artifacts. With booleans always limit your selection to just the essentials)

Good luck.

post-305-0-16143600-1418062544_thumb.png

thanks retrograde

i had tried by making the inner paths overlap the larger closed shapes but they still disappeared when i divided. it makes sense that it must be closed paths, was starting to get really frustrated thinking i was missing something. I will give this method a go, :)  

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried this divide technique myself and ugh...... way to many layers are created when i use divide. I can deal with one single shape but this definitely aint gonna fly with an entire character or scene!

Seems like way much more work than its worth. I gonna have to come up with a work-around!