You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing... is this a joke?

HI.  I'm sorry if this has been covered before.  Now, if I'm working in Photoshop, I can resize anything on my canvas (image cutout, graphic, text) up or down by using the Move Tool box around the object.  Affinity let's you do that too.  But the big difference is that whether I size up or down, Photoshop will automatically re-sample the image or graphic instantly and it will be totally crystal clear and perfect at the point you stop at.

In Affinity, when you do this, you're left with a distorted mess.  And the re-size document options are a joke.  How do you take this software seriously when it can't do this most basic task.  Like I said, you should be able to drag the Move Tool box changing the size of the object and  should at that point be automatically be re-sampled/resized when you're done.

If there is a way to do this, that I'm sorry for my stupidity.  If not, I'll stick with Photoshop.

Thanks

Al

Have you set view quality to Bilinear (best quality) in Preferences?

Generally, when you have placed images in your document they are [image] layers, smart objects that you can manipulate non-destructively. It is not resampled until in export. That is a great feature.

There may be need for some optimizations for onscreen presentations resampling routines, but generally my compositions have looked nice (I use high res images).

Resize certainly needs some work, now it is rather rudimentary. It is not broken but misses basic features.

Have you set view quality to Bilinear (best quality) in Preferences?

Generally, when you have placed images in your document they are [image] layers, smart objects that you can manipulate non-destructively. It is not resampled until in export. That is a great feature.

There may be need for some optimizations for onscreen presentations resampling routines, but generally my compositions have looked nice (I use high res images).

Resize certainly needs some work, now it is rather rudimentary. It is not broken but misses basic features.

Yes.  Thank you for your response.  I don't want to see what it's going to look like after it's exported.  I want to be able to look at the actual print size while I'm working on it to see what I'm going to get.  This area of Affinity definitely needs to be addressed and updated.  You have no idea how aggravating this is when Photoshop resizes and let's you see what you're going to get on the fly.  To the good people at Serif;  if this app is supposed to compete with Photoshop, you need to fix this problem.  

Hi MX1,

the resizing function / resizing dialog is unfortunately treated as an orphan in Affinity Photo, in the meantime a "resizing community" of pro users is grown in this forum to address their/our unhappiness with the resizing dialog box,

we hope our wish for a new and extended resizing function will be heard - I think that the success of Affinity Photo depends on good basic functions, and the resizing dialoge comes before anything else!

I've been using Photoshop since 1990. And during that time I too got used to "resizing" my images to match the desired output. However, I've since changed my ways with Affinity Photo -- I now only "resize" on export. Since Affinity doesn't lose resolution when resizing pixel layers, you can stack a bunch of images, each with different resolution density, scale them each as layers, and output them at the desired resolution without losing any fidelity. At first I was skeptical but after having just printed a solo show for a museum here in Massachusetts using this technique, I'm sold.

YMMV

Michael

...if I'm working in Photoshop, I can resize anything on my canvas (image cutout, graphic, text) up or down by using the Move Tool box around the object.  Affinity let's you do that too.  But the big difference is that whether I size up or down, Photoshop will automatically re-sample the image or graphic instantly and it will be totally crystal clear and perfect at the point you stop at.

In Affinity, when you do this, you're left with a distorted mess.  <SNIP> Like I said, you should be able to drag the Move Tool box changing the size of the object and  should at that point be automatically be re-sampled/resized when you're done.

Have you gone to Edit > Preferences > Performance > View Quality and changed the setting from 'Nearest Neighbour' to 'Bilinear (Best Quality)' as per Post No.2, because I don't get what you mean?

For demonstration purposes, I just took a screenshot of a webpage (1920 X 1080) and pasted it into a 3840 X 2160 document.  Then using the Move tool handles, dragged them to double the size of the screenshot to 3840 X 2160.  Affinity resamples the image instantly just the same as Photoshop.  It's deliberately a more extreme example because ordinarily you would try to avoid upsampling smaller images unless it's an absolute last resort, but I don't see a distorted mess, the only difference I see is a difference in sharpness between the two (although when exported as TIF files, they are indistinguishable from one another).

Photoshop:

Direct Link

post-29590-0-64605500-1487381603_thumb.png

Affinity Photo:

Direct Link

post-29590-0-12520100-1487381677_thumb.png

Here's the same image again, but this time with a 1920 X 1080 canvas and using the Move tool handles to reduce the size of the screenshot down to 1600 X 900.  Same results as above.

Photoshop:

Direct Link

post-29590-0-95271300-1487388753_thumb.png

Affinity Photo:

Direct Link

post-29590-0-93303100-1487388783_thumb.png

If you're experiencing something different, it maybe worth posting screenshots and the original images.

And the re-size document options are a joke.  How do you take this software seriously when it can't do this most basic task.  

What is it that you're trying to do?

you can stack a bunch of images, each with different resolution density, scale them each as layers, and output them at the desired resolution without losing any fidelity. At first I was skeptical but after having just printed a solo show for a museum here in Massachusetts using this technique, I'm sold.

Me too, I had an exhibition in November, I had stacked 12-28 image layers, 16-bit 6000X9000 px images plus grads & adjusts, AP file could be somewhere 16 GB range. Looked good onscreen and handled easily enough. I could not have done this in PS.

It is possible OP has some bug related to graphics acceleration?

It is possible OP has some bug related to graphics acceleration?

Or possibly does not completely understand the complexities & limitations of comparing on screen & printed versions of a digital graphics document? In the second post, MX1 said, "I want to be able to look at the actual print size while I'm working on it to see what I'm going to get."

It would indeed be wonderful if it was simple & easy do that, but of course color space conversions, printing device & print driver differences, the document "actual size" setting, & so on must be considered; and even when everything is set up correctly, the best we can hope for is a good on screen approximation of the hard copy output.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

What is missing badly in the Windows Version resizing dialog is that it is not possible to change the Pixel / Inch / Centimeter values without the resample box is ticked. So it is not possible to calculate the DPI vs Centimeter values instantly. Another problem is that the Pixel / Inch / Centimeter values don't follow promptly if DPI values are changed. You have to toggle the resample box twice first....