You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The last answer I received was an excuse for the media browser being based on a third party product and that there was no definitive answer on what the media browser might be eventually turned into something actually useful.

Please spare me the insulting lip service of vague responses and if nothing is going to be done about it, I will certainly stop recommending Affinity Photo to those looking to replace Photoshop.

Its a huge joke that this software is portrayed as a professional product when usability comes into question.

fteifeld,

Have some patience. As MEB pointed out in your original post, the developers are working hard to address users' request and to add new features as well. That takes time. You are being a little unrealistic in expecting the developers to drop everything just to respond to your post. In your original post, only 2 days had past before you started complaining. I would imagine that people who complain with a nasty tone like yours are often ignored and with good reason. If I were to complain to you in a manner such as yours, I'm sure you wouldn't be happy about it. If you have a problem, voice it properly and nicely and I'm sure you will be heard. Even if you have harsh criticism, there is a good way to voice it and a bad way. Think before you post. 

Give the Affinity team some credit, they are working hard on the programs. This is evident by looking how far the products have come from the very first betas. The Affinity products are professional level products. Are they complete? No, they are great for being version 1 releases. Even as a first version, they are very strong and they have lots of innovative and useful features. Does that mean that they have everything that everyone wants? No, but they are working hard to add things that users want and need. So be patient and be nice.

The last answer I received was an excuse for the media browser being based on a third party product and that there was no definitive answer on what the media browser might be eventually turned into something actually useful.

Please spare me the insulting lip service of vague responses and if nothing is going to be done about it, I will certainly stop recommending Affinity Photo to those looking to replace Photoshop.

Its a huge joke that this software is portrayed as a professional product when usability comes into question.

You judge the power of Affinity Photo based on a media browser? WoW!

Yes Affinity does not have everything Adobe offers yet it offers stuff Adobe does not offer.

We just switched the complete department and my students away from Adobe to Affinity.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

You seem to be very confused, let me help you out.

Affinity Photo is a photo editing software, same category as Photoshop.

Photoshop and Bridge are two different things. Bridge, is not a photo editing software hence Bridge is not Photoshop, ergo Affinity Photo and Bridge are two different type of software.

Also, you seem to be confused about usability too. In fact, a media browser has nothing to do with Photo's usability. 

It seems you are mixing and matching a lot of things here, but if you really want to talk about how professional a program is, first thing first: don't do beginners mistake comparing different things.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

The last answer I received was an excuse for the media browser being based on a third party product ...

The media browser is based on a third party product that in turn uses certain API's built into OS X & is limited to what those API's support. It amounts to a slightly enhanced version of the Sidebar > Media > Photos option available from the Open menu in Affinity & other apps coded to support the OS X Sidebar media browser, of which there are many.

It is in no way an essential feature -- OS X itself, as well as other apps, provide multiple ways to preview, search, categorize, or open image files in Affinity. If you are not happy with how it works, then just don't use it. There multiple other alternates to choose from.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Its been a long time since I was unable to admit my mistakes. It makes life much easier.

I'm Ur fan now ;)

but by the way.. I read many times that at the moment affinity photo is a good substitute for photoshop, while the raw work of lightroom can b best dealt with on1. i love the fast catalogfree handling of raws in on1, but I'm very much disappointed from the development results... so, I agree that this step is still an important issue, the affinity developer need to deal with, sooner or later. and i trust that they will.