You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Round trip with Lightroom RAW file

I'm still using Lightroom as my main cataloging app, but I'd like to be able to send native RAW files or DNG files to Affinity Photo for initial developing using the Develop persona.

I did set up a Lightroom External Editor for AP, but the only available file formats are TIFF, PSD, and JPG.

Even If I have to export the finished file from AP to Lightroom as a TIFF file (since AP does not support DNG export), is there a simple way for me to direct the RAW file from Lightroom to AP for processing?

Thanks,
Dave

Well, Lightroom does support exporting RAW files for editing, just look at what it does with Photoshop.Of course, when PShop is done, you have to save the resulting file as a PSD or TIFF -- that doesn't bother me. What I want to be able to do is send a RAW file from the Lightroom catalog to an external RAW editor.

Other programs can handle this; take a look at PhotoNinja or DxO Optics Pro, for example. 

I did have one solution (albeit it's a bit awkward when returning/adding the processed file to Lightroom; I'm working on that) and that's to use John Beardsworth's "OpenDirectly" plugin for Lightroom, which lets you specify an external RAW editor.

Well I don't think that AP has actually been build up with this way in mind, aka to be used as an possible accessible external RAW converter for Lightroom as an cataloging application. As far as I can see here from Thomas Fitzgerald's blog entry about Iridient Developer, some apps have implemented therefor explicite support in the form of "finding matching RAW files" when TIFFs are send from Lightroom to them and then for the way back they are also explicitely are "overwriting the initial send TIFF" file so it shows up as updated in Lightroom. - So the usual actual way is probably more like this here: using AP as an external image editor for Lightroom.

However if you might find some Lightroom add-on which instead is capable of passing over the "selected RAW file" as an argument to other external applications, you can probably use AP then for the RAW conversion task.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2