You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In this tutorial I cover how to create a custom filter to extract details from your images. In this tutorial you'll also find the use of Macros and a bonus for you to use as you like... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdaySWNEpY0

The language in the video is portuguese with english subtitles.

Hope you enjoy the video   :)

Pedro

Photographer, Designer, Climber & Happy Gardener

Thanks for sharing the tutorial, and special thanks for the English subtitles :)

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

Beautiful! I went to Google to translate "beautiful" into Portuguese for you but saw too many contradictions; Linda! seemed to be the most agreed on). :D

While I realize it is Live and can be adjusted for effect, do you have guidelines for when your technique and macro would not be successful in a photo? I'm thinking of a photo I posted recently for help where a down-pointing spot light whited out the top of a person's head with too much reflection.

Thanks for the vid and macro.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Beautiful! I went to Google to translate "beautiful" into Portuguese for you but saw too many contradictions; Linda! seemed to be the most agreed on). :D

While I realize it is Live and can be adjusted for effect, do you have guidelines for when your technique and macro would not be successful in a photo? I'm thinking of a photo I posted recently for help where a down-pointing spot light whited out the top of a person's head with too much reflection.

Thanks for the vid and macro.

Hi jer,

Well, Portuguese is a difficult language and many times the translation doesn't work very well but I understand what you mean and I really appreciate your effort :)

For this particular effect the only place where I don't want to use this technique is in woman skin and areas of images where I want to keep a soft look. For the rest you can use this macro with the option to control and adjust the effect, even with the layer opacity.

Regarding your particular image, I don't believe this is a good solution since you need to have detail in the first place for the effect to work, and for your description you have a lack of detail caused by the reflection. If you point me to the image I can check the result with this effect or try to come up with another solution.

Cheers,

Pedro

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, Pedro Soares said:
...Regarding your particular image, I don't believe this is a good solution since you need to have detail in the first place for the effect to work, and for your description you have a lack of detail caused by the reflection. If you point me to the image I can check the result with this effect or try to come up with another solution.

Cheers,

Pedro

Other members who saw my problem-photo said the same and pointed me toward solutions that actually overlaid new pixels (similar to surrounding area) on a mask layer. This worked effectively whereas the clone brush did not as it looked manipulated. Here is the string for those who want to see the suggestions by kind members...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/35242-fix-a-reflection-in-ap/?p=172981

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

• 11 months later...

Hi Vasto7,

I'm really glad that my tutorial could help you in some way. Thanks for the feedback.
I invite you to keep an eye on my Youtube channel and Blog because new posts and tutorials are coming...

And by the way, my last blog post was about a quick tip both for Affinity Photo and Capture One regarding retouching and has another two Macros you can download :)

Cheers

This looks like a very useful technique. I also like to be able to watch a video with the sound off, so sub-titles suit me well.

I did find, however, that I could not see any difference between your before and after shots. Could I suggest that for these, you zoom right in to 100%.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi John Rostron,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna try as you suggested and implement the tip of zooming every time it's pertinent.

For my upcoming tutorials I'm also using a new workstation where I have a better/bigger/higher resolution display so I believe it will improve the quality of them.

Thanks again,

Pedro