You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text on a path characters to stay vertical?

Hi Devil_Inside

Hard to tell exactly what effect you are looking for.

You can change the letters to stay vertical in Designer but I have never seen it done that way and does not look very good (see attached designer.jpg)

Another way is by using the Warp Mesh Tool in Affinity Photo (see attached photo.jpg)

If you can give more information on the exact effect (with the text) you are after then someone may be able to suggest a workaround for you.

(a picture would help)

post-17958-0-50363100-1487228642_thumb.jpg

post-17958-0-53369700-1487228705_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi Devil_inside,

In the example you have provided the letters are rotated...

@carl123

There's no function/option to keep the text vertical on a curved path in Designer. If you want o suggest workarounds using baseline adjustments or whatever techniques please make that clear for users.

• Staff

I think what you are looking for is how to represent the distortion of the letters when projected over a cylinder that's facing you (perspective distortion) rather than using text on a path which is a two dimensional effect... To simulate it in two dimensions you have to use the Mesh Warp Tool in Affinity Photo as carl123 mentioned above. Designer still doesn't have any distortion tools, or recreate the effect manually editing the shape's nodes.

Hi Devil_inside,

In the example you have provided the letters are rotated...

@carl123

There's no function/option to keep the text vertical on a curved path in Designer. If you want o suggest workarounds using baseline adjustments or whatever techniques please make that clear for users.

Hi MEB

Just to clarify, I did not use a baseline adjustment in my example.  I created the text on a path as requested by the OP then converted to curves and then adjusted the rotation of each "letter" back to zero degrees in the Transform panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi Devil_Inside

Thanks for the picture. It was useful in seeing what you were trying to achieve.  Unfortunately the text on a path function was the wrong "tool" to choose to create the sort of perspective effect you require.  Even if it allowed the text to remain vertical the effect would still not be right. 

As an example, in the attached file I used the text on a path function, converted the text to curves then set the rotation for each letter back to zero degrees.  As you can see the effect is not right and the only way to do this properly in AD would be to convert the text to curves then using the node tool adjust the perspective of each individual "character" to match that required.  Not something I'd recommend unless you are a master of node manipulation and perspective designing.

It is much easier to adjust the perspective of the text with the Mesh Warp Tool in Affinity Photo but unfortunately Affinity Designer does not currently have this tool.  (It is though on the roadmap for Designer so it will come as a free update once it is ready.)

cannedsoup.afdesign

Thanks a lot for a detailed answer, Carl.

I agree that a proper perspective distortion would be the ideal tool for this, but since it's not there, I thought to cheat with simple text on a path.

For the small icon I'm doing I used the method you described, and while not perfect, it's good enough.

Thanks again!

No problem, glad it was of some help.

• 1 year later...

@MEB: The use-case that the OP has in mind is one that's possible in other design applications: creating text where each letterform has its baseline skewed at an angle tangent to the curve at the center of the letterform's baseline ("b"), instead of merely rotating the letterform tangent to the curve at the center point, as is the case currently ("a")

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 7.16.33 PM.png