You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to stop the W x H reversing back after using the 'Reset Selection Box' and deselecting the object?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Meb,

What I find puzzling is what were the developers thinking of when they designed this feature? Meaning what purpose did they see for it?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I think the idea is so you can toggle between the reset & normal selection box "modes" & resize, skew, or rotate the shape using whichever set of selection box handles or Transform panel values works best for whatever you are trying to do. Basically, the reset is non-destructive -- you can always go back to the "natural" (for want of a better word) handles/values.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It would be nice to have the choice between temporary and permanent reset.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• 1 month later...

This is really weird. I was under the impression the Beta version did not behave like this (i.e. the change was permanent) but I might be misremembering.

You’re speaking of this as a feature, MEB, but to me it looks like a bug. It makes little sense that there’s no way to make this choice “stick”. At the very least it should behave like the pathfinder: regular click makes it permanent and ⌥+click makes it temporary (or vice-versa, I won’t be picky).

Having to use the pathfinder is an ugly workaround (especially since AD sometimes messes shapes with the pathfinder).

• Staff

Hi vitor,

I was just referring a workaround for this. In any case this is indeed by design, not a bug. See Ben's reply here for an explanation of why it works this way. Basically it lets you revert transforms you have applied to the object which otherwise would be lost if the bounding box change was permanent.

• 2 years later...

I think that a permanent reset bounding box option is essential for anyone using Affinity Designer. Based on my prior experience with Adobe Illustrator, a permanent reset bounding box is a valuable tool for an efficient workflow. It's convenient to have the option of a non-permanent reset bounding box for vector shapes that need it, but most of the time we NEED a permanent reset bounding box. 

16 hours ago, Fun Art Sam said:

I think that a permanent reset bounding box option is essential for anyone using Affinity Designer. Based on my prior experience with Adobe Illustrator, a permanent reset bounding box is a valuable tool for an efficient workflow. It's convenient to have the option of a non-permanent reset bounding box for vector shapes that need it, but most of the time we NEED a permanent reset bounding box. 

Word for word duplicate of this comment in the similarly named "Affinity Designer - Reset Selection Box" topic.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7