You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gaps Between Aligned Closed path using grid snap

Hi, 

In the attached image here, I would like to ask how to get rid of the gap evident between the house walls and roof parts.  I am using a triangular grid to draw with snapping on. I can obviously turn snapping off and move it about manually, but I would have thought the program should interpret two strokes like this, being ontop of the pink (pixel) layer below, as being perfectly aligned so there is no gap.  It might print differently to what is shown on screen but I don't own a printer.  Stroke is set to zero.

What's happening please?

post-33235-0-72820700-1487169491_thumb.jpg

Can you attach the file itself here, please, so we can find out what's wrong?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I am busy at the moment, but I will take a look at the file and get back to you either tonight or tomorrow.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I d-loaded the file. It seems like a lot of nodes were not at the intersection of the grid lines. There seemed to be a number of lines in the file that were about half way between nodes. They were parallel to, but not actually on the grid. My guess is that you were tracing over the pixel layer, whose shapes were not quite aligned to the grid.

At any rate, it is easy to remedy by zooming in closer so that one can see the nodes being pulled to the grid intersection. Tho' it looks like ten some of the added vectors wont match the underlying pixel image very well

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks for looking.  Which nodes are you referring to? It is correct there are plenty of nodes that are off the grid intersecting points, but that's not the point really. Those points are not causing the gap between the closed paths.  Even though the elements of the roof of the house structure have nodes which are 'off grid' nodes, the two elements it consists of are snapped together but still show a gap between.

"...easy to remedy by zooming in closer..."

If you can zoom in and correct this gap whilst keeping the nodes snapped to their shared points, on grid or off grid, I'd appreciate a file share of it, because when I zoom in by pressing Ctrl+Alt over 40 times (see image for magnification), the gap does not increase.

post-33235-0-89012800-1487191666_thumb.png

You will find, eventually (I can't find the link atm), that the explanation for this is that it's the antialiasing of shape boundaries as they abut each other. AND, that this result is, wait for it........ normal.  :mellow:

So there is no "fix". But there are several ways to deal with it. The most simple of which would be to duplicate that group of shapes.

....Or add a stroke to those shapes. Which brings me to a side issue. Don't you need a stroke anyway (or at least different values on those panels). Otherwise they will combine to be a dimensionless block of grey. Or that may be what you want  :) .

When I saw the original screenshot, I didn't realize that the outline was gap space. I thought it was a stroke. I thought that triangle part not touching the end was the gap before I realized the black was an object behind.

Okay now, so assuming you still want an outline of the house group, it looks like the best thing to do is to just stroke it like JimmyJack's second suggestion, even if it's a very small size. Worth noting, if you hold Control or Command while selecting a group, you will select an individual object. Just in case you want to have different strokes.