You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Noticed all my photos shot in aperture or shutter modes say "auto exposure" but my photos shot in manual code are correctly listed as manual exposure. My nikon D90 is on the list of supported cameras and I have the latest firmware installed any ideas as to why and can I do anything to correct it?

post-52162-0-10546900-1487165833_thumb.png

Well technically, anything not explicitly manual - like Aperture and Shutter mode - is an "Auto" exposure. 

It does the same thing with my Canon image files, if that's any comfort, while the full exposure mode shows properly in other viewers like Irfanview.

It must just be how Photo parses the Exif in the relevant field - arguably not a bug as such, but it could be more accurately presented, for sure.

I assume that Serif uses a Open Source Exif implementation (Exiftool, maybe?) So there might be a flag in the code which would allow the actual exposure mode to be properly displayed.

Keith Reeder

Well technically, anything not explicitly manual - like Aperture and Shutter mode - is an "Auto" exposure.

Technically, according to this source the EXIF "ExposureProgram" TIFF Tag should display one of eight values, none of which is "Auto." Two of them are intended to tag Aperture & Shutter priority programs.

I am not quite sure what to make of that regarding AP's EXIF panel, but I wonder if other apps show something different for a photo taken with a Nikon D90. If not, perhaps the D90 is not set to embed that EXIF tag in its files & AP is just 'reinterpreting' the "Not defined" tag value incorrectly?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Technically, according to this source the EXIF "ExposureProgram" TIFF Tag should display one of eight values, none of which is "Auto." Two of them are intended to tag Aperture & Shutter priority programs.

I am not quite sure what to make of that regarding AP's EXIF panel, but I wonder if other apps show something different for a photo taken with a Nikon D90. If not, perhaps the D90 is not set to embed that EXIF tag in its files & AP is just 'reinterpreting' the "Not defined" tag value incorrectly?

You're correct loading photo in a couple of other apps that read exif data the exposure mode is 3, which is aperture so not sure what the deal is with AP. Not a big deal just purchased AP and having a lot of fun learning my way around.