Stephen_H

How do I hide the "marching ants" of a selection

I'm used to "Command + H" in PhotoShop to hide the marching ants that indicate an active selection, but I can't find any equivalent in AD or AP. I'm trying to do some dodge/burn tool work and the marque is getting in the way and hiding the results. I keep having to deselect and then re-select through History which is a really painful way to have to work.

I'm sure it's there, I just can't figure it out. Please help.

Thanks.

Thanks. That works like a charm... in Photo, but I don't seem to have this option in Designer. Is that right?

Here's a screenshot of my view menu...

(and I am working in the Pixel Persona)

post-14828-0-80968500-1487155805_thumb.png

Hi Stephen_H,

Go to menu View and untick Show Pixel Selection. You can also set a custom shortcut for this in Affinity Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section (set the first dropdown to Photo and the second to View).

Just curious, on Mac, why does Command-H (for finder) override the Affinity Photo app? In other words, I can't assign Command-H as a shortcut since it seems this Mac finder shortcut overrides the Affinity app. I understand it's not always easy on the coding side of apps, but just curious if this is being looked at... Thanks

Hi mdub.

Just a minor clarification: Command-H is not a Finder shortcut. It applies to all apps (Finder is an app) that use the built-in OS X API's for application window control.

Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 14.0.1

MEB, what is the current status of the "Hide Selection" in Designer? Been using Designer for 2 weeks. I'm a 23 year veteran of Photoshop and Illustrator and simply can't live without being able to hide the marching ants. It seems like that would have been a basic design feature from early on. It's surprising to see that nearly 2 years have passed and still no way to hide selections! Hope that it's right around the corner.

While Cmd-d deselects, you either can simply hold the space key to temporary hide the object marque, or activate the according button in the toolbar for unlimited hide.

2051732966_hideselectionmarquebuttontoolbar.jpg.5eb6031e2e3c9bb0d5b836f74b3b9675.jpg

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 24", Affinity in Separated Mode (documents merged)

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

While Cmd-d does de-select you either can simply hold the space key to temporary hide the object marque, or activate the according button in the toolbar for unlimited hide.

2051732966_hideselectionmarquebuttontoolbar.jpg.5eb6031e2e3c9bb0d5b836f74b3b9675.jpg

Neither of which helps the OP's request to simply hide a selection made with the selection brush tool (W) temporarily hiding the distracting marching ants while making adjustments especially in border areas.

I think the intended work around is purchasing Photo. 

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

4 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Neither of which helps the OP's request to simply hide a selection made with the selection brush tool (W)

I was rather referring/answering to the younger (Nov 2018) post ...

On 11/16/2018 at 1:10 AM, TLeyva said:

MEB, what is the current status of the "Hide Selection" in Designer?

... and the recent answer "Try Cmd-d" some minutes ago.

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 24", Affinity in Separated Mode (documents merged)

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

I was rather referring/answering to the younger (Nov 2018) post ...

... and the recent answer "Try Cmd-d" some minutes ago.

He wants to HIDE the selection. Not DESELECT it.

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

If he deselects it ... the entire idea of limiting the scope of the adjustment to the selection is gone. He wants an active, but invisible selection so he can make adjustments without it disturbing etc.

10 minutes ago, Jowday said:

He wants to HIDE the selection. Not DESELECT it.

Yes. That is it what made me replay at all to "Try Cmd-d" (which was not my response).

The entire thread appears a little confusing (quite old, various topics inside).
Additionally, I haven't noticed that the question is about especially the ants marque.

For Designer there is none yet, indeed. For Photo it is in the menu, as MEB had replied in 2017.

1319169431_hideselectionmarquephotomenu.jpg.426afa06a346e6b6939be9847d50860c.jpg

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Yes. That is it what made me reply at all to "Try Cmd-d" (which was not my response).

The entire thread appears a little confusing (quite old, various topics inside).
Additionally, I haven't noticed that the question is about especially the ants marque.

For Designer there is none yet, indeed. For Photo it is in the menu, as MEB had replied in 2017.

1319169431_hideselectionmarquephotomenu.jpg.426afa06a346e6b6939be9847d50860c.jpg

🤝 🙂

Seems so that the OP really meant hide and not dismiss in this case. - However, if I would still need a specific selection at some time, then I would save that first for any possible later reuse or in case things get messed up. Further, active selections have often the tendency to block certain subsequent operations in such a way, that you have to dismiss them in order to proceed. - So it always depends on the operations and individual workflow here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.8.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.8.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan