You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I hide the "marching ants" of a selection

I'm used to "Command + H" in PhotoShop to hide the marching ants that indicate an active selection, but I can't find any equivalent in AD or AP. I'm trying to do some dodge/burn tool work and the marque is getting in the way and hiding the results. I keep having to deselect and then re-select through History which is a really painful way to have to work.

I'm sure it's there, I just can't figure it out. Please help.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Stephen_H,

Go to menu View and untick Show Pixel Selection. You can also set a custom shortcut for this in Affinity Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section (set the first dropdown to Photo and the second to View).

Just curious, on Mac, why does Command-H (for finder) override the Affinity Photo app? In other words, I can't assign Command-H as a shortcut since it seems this Mac finder shortcut overrides the Affinity app. I understand it's not always easy on the coding side of apps, but just curious if this is being looked at... Thanks

Hi mdub.

Just a minor clarification: Command-H is not a Finder shortcut. It applies to all apps (Finder is an app) that use the built-in OS X API's for application window control.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

MEB, what is the current status of the "Hide Selection" in Designer? Been using Designer for 2 weeks. I'm a 23 year veteran of Photoshop and Illustrator and simply can't live without being able to hide the marching ants. It seems like that would have been a basic design feature from early on. It's surprising to see that nearly 2 years have passed and still no way to hide selections! Hope that it's right around the corner.

• 1 year later...

While Cmd-d deselects, you either can simply hold the space key to temporary hide the object marque, or activate the according button in the toolbar for unlimited hide.

2051732966_hideselectionmarquebuttontoolbar.jpg.5eb6031e2e3c9bb0d5b836f74b3b9675.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

While Cmd-d does de-select you either can simply hold the space key to temporary hide the object marque, or activate the according button in the toolbar for unlimited hide.

2051732966_hideselectionmarquebuttontoolbar.jpg.5eb6031e2e3c9bb0d5b836f74b3b9675.jpg

Neither of which helps the OP's request to simply hide a selection made with the selection brush tool (W) temporarily hiding the distracting marching ants while making adjustments especially in border areas.

I think the intended work around is purchasing Photo. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

4 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Neither of which helps the OP's request to simply hide a selection made with the selection brush tool (W)

I was rather referring/answering to the younger (Nov 2018) post ...

On 11/16/2018 at 1:10 AM, TLeyva said:

MEB, what is the current status of the "Hide Selection" in Designer?

... and the recent answer "Try Cmd-d" some minutes ago.

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

I was rather referring/answering to the younger (Nov 2018) post ...

... and the recent answer "Try Cmd-d" some minutes ago.

He wants to HIDE the selection. Not DESELECT it.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

If he deselects it ... the entire idea of limiting the scope of the adjustment to the selection is gone. He wants an active, but invisible selection so he can make adjustments without it disturbing etc.

10 minutes ago, Jowday said:

He wants to HIDE the selection. Not DESELECT it.

Yes. That is it what made me replay at all to "Try Cmd-d" (which was not my response).

The entire thread appears a little confusing (quite old, various topics inside).
Additionally, I haven't noticed that the question is about especially the ants marque.

For Designer there is none yet, indeed. For Photo it is in the menu, as MEB had replied in 2017.

1319169431_hideselectionmarquephotomenu.jpg.426afa06a346e6b6939be9847d50860c.jpg

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Yes. That is it what made me reply at all to "Try Cmd-d" (which was not my response).

The entire thread appears a little confusing (quite old, various topics inside).
Additionally, I haven't noticed that the question is about especially the ants marque.

For Designer there is none yet, indeed. For Photo it is in the menu, as MEB had replied in 2017.

1319169431_hideselectionmarquephotomenu.jpg.426afa06a346e6b6939be9847d50860c.jpg

🤝 🙂

Seems so that the OP really meant hide and not dismiss in this case. - However, if I would still need a specific selection at some time, then I would save that first for any possible later reuse or in case things get messed up. Further, active selections have often the tendency to block certain subsequent operations in such a way, that you have to dismiss them in order to proceed. - So it always depends on the operations and individual workflow here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, MEB said:

Yes, currently this is only available in Photo. I'm filling an improvement request to add it to Designer as well.

Ah well, that's been said in February 2017 – as it seems this hasn't been implemented almost 4 long years later, has it?

36 minutes ago, Lorox said:

Ah well, that's been said in February 2017 – as it seems this hasn't been implemented almost 4 long years later, has it?

Apparently not. Hide pixel selection only appears in AP & in the Photo persona of APub, but not in AD.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
18 hours ago, Lorox said:

No, it wasn't sorry. It's up to management/development to decide what features to add and when. I've updated/bumped the log to bring it up to dev's attention again. It's all i can do.

21 hours ago, Lorox said:

Has it been said that it will be implemented?
The APhoto application is primarily intended for editing raster images, which of course has this necessary function. Pixel persona in ADesigner does not replace its functionality in any way, nor is it intended for that. In my opinion, adding this feature has minimal priority (and that's so good, there's no need necessarily to duplicate functionality from one application to another), or it doesn't have to be added at all.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

No, it wasn't sorry. It's up to management/development to decide what features to add and when. I've updated/bumped the log to bring it up to dev's attention again. It's all i can do.

Thanks a lot – we'll see!

It's interesting, however, to see other users obviously not seeming to miss this feature or being just content that it's there in Afffinity Photo. As Designer's Pixel Persona allows us to add some nice pixel painting to our vector content on a pixel layer – or specifically a selected part thereof – it seems so natural (or desirable) to me personally to be able to hide such a selection’s boundary in order to not be distracted by those "marching ants" that I really thought this should be a classic "nobrainer"...

Edited by Lorox
typo

33 minutes ago, Lorox said:

It's interesting, however, to see other users obviously not seeming to miss this feature or being just content that it's there in Afffinity Photo.

Just guessing but I suspect that most users wanting to be able to hide the marching ants do not mind buying AP, not just to get that feature but also to get the many other raster image related features AD lacks like macros, batch processing, the Liquify & Tone Mapping personas, (limited) support for PS plugins, & so on.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Just guessing but I suspect that most users wanting to be able to hide the marching ants do not mind buying AP, not just to get that feature but also to get the many other raster image related features AD lacks like macros, batch processing, the Liquify & Tone Mapping personas, (limited) support for PS plugins, & so on.

I don't know really. I've bought all 3 Affinity apps and use them according to the projects I have at hand. My concern with the marching ants is that I often find myself doing artwork which is basically vector based (hence using AD as the weapon of choice). But I often also like to add some more "painterly" touches to the vector parts using AD's Pixel Persona. This way of doing things can't be so uncommon, I'd guess. So I really thought the marching ants topic in AD might generally be of interest for other users of the app as well...

36 minutes ago, Lorox said:

I've bought all 3 Affinity apps and use them according to the projects I have at hand. My concern with the marching ants is that I often find myself doing artwork which is basically vector based (hence using AD as the weapon of choice). But I often also like to add some more "painterly" touches to the vector parts using AD's Pixel Persona.

Alternatively, having all three applications, you could do your project in Publisher, and use the Designer Persona for vector art functions, and the Photo Persona for painterly touches.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1