Stephen_H

What is this blue line in the layers panel?

I opened a PDF into Affinity Designer and saw something I didn't recognize or understand its purpose. There is a thin blue line between 2 layers. I can't select it, right click on it or any other number of alternate keyboard modifier key clicks. I also can't see any difference that it might be making to the document. It's not like everything above it is locked or invisible or indicating a clipping layer. It also seems to be attached to the layer above it as it moves when I drag layers around.

Please can someone educate as to what it's for. Hopefully it's some awesome hidden feature I know nothing about, and not just a glitch from the PDF.

post-14828-0-39665200-1487150332_thumb.jpg

You can change the colour of a layer and this will affect the colour used by the tool when objects are selected on this layer. Simply right-click the layer and choose 'Properties' and you can see that the layer colour can be changed. If you select an object on that layer, you should find that your tool colour changes accordingly.

This makes it easier to spot which layer you're working on, or to set a very obvious layer colour that's different to the content you're designing.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Ah-hah!

That is a nice feature. I often struggle with the bounding box handle colour – it's too similar to sky so changing the colour is very useful.

Putting that colour indication under the layer isn't obvious or intuitive because it doesn't look like an attribute of the layer above it, but rather the way the top layer interacts with the layer below.

A thin line at the end of the layer would've made more sense and be more obvious.

Like this screenshot:

post-14828-0-98577000-1487157471_thumb.jpg

This is pretty cool, I never noticed I could do this. A suggestion though, can the colours be randomized for each new layer created? That way we don't have to change each layer, which is time consuming, and makes this feature more obvious. I also think Stephen's idea of how to display the layer colour is much nicer.

Thanks!

A suggestion though, can the colours be randomized for each new layer created? 

I think that would drive me crazy. I like consistency and uniformity. If my layers were suddenly pink and green and yellow I'd end up manually changing them back to a single preferred colour.

Can I suggest, to speed up changing the colour, could we rather have a few colors as swatches as a quick-select. The custom colour mixer can still be in the Properties, but for a really quick 'n simple colour change, this would be nice.

post-14828-0-05630100-1487175069_thumb.jpg

+1 to both suggestions (line on the end, color quick selects) from Stephen!

Very well thought through Stephen.

+1 (agreed!)

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop