You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Swap color wells for stroke and fill

Is there any way to swap  the colors with a shortcut key?

I know if I hit x on the keyboard it will swap the which color that I am painting with while using the brush tool  or ant creation tool really but is there a way select vector object that already been drawn with a certain fill color and stroke color and  just hit a shortcut key that will swap the fill color with stroke color of the selected object on the fly? 

Also, is there or will there be a way to use a keyboard shortcut for to invoke the eyedropper tool on the fly without having to go select the eyedropper tool in the pallet then after selecting the color having to click again to apply the color to the selected object.

Last one I promise ( B)  <_< lol) Is there a reason why I can see colors in the toolbar when it is docked but when I undock the tool bar by double clicking I can see color wells right there? I mean. I see you can see all the time in the color palette and the context toolbar. but I don't know it just feels like it  should be there all the time in the toolbar or not at all (IMHO) I actually would like to see it there all the time but I can learn to love it in just the two areas too.

Thanks  :)

+1 for your second point Ronnie!

I swear sometimes I think they stay quiet  over there at affinity giggling at us. they know we eventually find the answer or at least part of it! 

So, Retro I was trying to figure out how I could apply different techniques for shading objects and I stumbled across this one

while using the the brush tool and the pencil tool in both the pixel and draw persona.

hold down the option key and click and drag your pen or mouse and you get the eyedropper when you let go  it will select the color you were over. 

Has no one else seen this or am I the only tool late to the party on this one! This is huge  I mean huge for me! I gonna have to make this one the subject of my next video! 

Thanks Affinity team for your silence on that one.....I am going to have to say thank you though because this was very exciting for me to find on my own. "its the little things"

• Staff

Haha, sorry to tell you Ronnie, but I'm never deliberately quiet - I just have days where I barely look away from a big blob of maths for long enough to take a very detailed look at the forum! I do try to catch up on it when I get chance, but sometimes there's a lot to catch up on!!! :S

Incidentally, no matter how hard you look you won't find any key to swap the actual colours from the primary/secondary (stroke/fill) contexts - doesn't sound like an unreasonable request though, so... any thoughts on what key sounds like a good one? ;)

I think that basically we need to find a way to clone MEB and have lots of extra Miguels answering questions to give us more time to type the code! ;)

Haha, sorry to tell you Ronnie, but I'm never deliberately quiet - I just have days where I barely look away from a big blob of maths for long enough to take a very detailed look at the forum! I do try to catch up on it when I get chance, but sometimes there's a lot to catch up on!!! :S

Incidentally, no matter how hard you look you won't find any key to swap the actual colours from the primary/secondary (stroke/fill) contexts - doesn't sound like an unreasonable request though, so... any thoughts on what key sounds like a good one? ;)

I think that basically we need to find a way to clone MEB and have lots of extra Miguels answering questions to give us more time to type the code! ;)

Well there goes my Affinity Designer conspiracy theory for a better world of artist! hahahahaha!

Yes, we need more terminators... "Question terminators" like MEB seriously he is awesome and oh so diplomatic about it too. Sometimes I wonder what its like to be like MEB answering the same question over and over and over again? Perhaps he has kids or maybe he is a teacher? Obviously, patience is one of his super powers! lol.

Ohh man I get to name shortcut pre (possible) shortcut editor implementation  :o  :blink:  :lol:  :P I mean if this is not a dream...I would Since you are already using X key to move the foreground color background color front to back, how about a simple using the shift + x key combination then? Ohh not to be greedy but if you could make the  backslash ( / )  key the disable color for stroke or fill depending on which one is in front of the other in the color  pallet that will round out the shortcut strokes for that particular control.

Thanks you so much for listening  :) 

Hey Matt, I just watched "The Prestige" last night and there was this machine made by Tesla that will give you that cloning ability...  ;)