Affinity Photo is just awesome and I believe more and more artists are adopting it has I did some time ago.

Everything is great and is getting better with every update.

But one of the things I never understood was why name the Plugins options in the preferences panel as Photoshop Plugins. I understand that in the beginning we may needed some kind of reference but since it's possible to install and use the plugins without Photoshop and since they aren't done by Photoshop, I don't see the need to make that reference. This is my sincere opinion and a simple suggestion/request, why not name it just Plugins?

Thanks for all the effort and support,

Pedro

Photographer, Artist & Educator

Hi Pedro,

That's because those plugins are developed specifically for Adobe Photoshop using their software development kit (SDK). Nowadays there's several third-party apps that can also work as hosts but the functionality of the plugins is entirely tied to what Photoshop (and their SDK) supports (feature wise).

Hi understand that MEB but, the first idea you get is that you are talking about Photoshop plugins where instead they are from Google Nik, Topaz, DxO, etc. Of course made for Photoshop as you mention. As I said, it was just a suggestion and I can live with that :D

Thanks for your feedback,

Pedro

Photographer, Artist & Educator

It doesn't matter who made them. They are still Photoshop plugins, dependent on the functionality built into Photoshop to work. For example, the NIK Photoshop plugins will not work at all with Apple's Aperture plugin architecture, but the NIK collection installer will install versions coded for Aperture that will work with that app (if you use the Mac installer). They are not Photoshop plugins; they are Aperture plugins.

There are also restrictions on which Photoshop plugins will work with which versions of Adobe & other companies products because not all of them support the same level of functionality that the plugins require.

So basically, in Affinity they are not only talking specifically about Photoshop plugins, but also about the subset of them that will work with Affinity as the host.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1