You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can someone do a tutorial for creating a starry night sky from scratch?

Hi, I'm new to Affinity Designer and Photo and been learning a lot from all the tutorials which are great, however, I can't find anything on how to create a starry night sky from scratch.

I browsed Youtube and found how to do it with Photoshop but they use all the PS shortcuts and UI so I have no idea how to do it with Affinity or if its even possible.

Can someone share some knowledge about this? 

My goal is to make a starry night sky with colorful gas clouds.

You can either do it by painting it with brushes or making vector stars and duplicating them many, many times then using vector shapes with layer effects (outer glow, inner glow) and overlay mode to make the glas clouds.

The thing about any graphic design tool is that you understand the concept (the method) and not memorize the steps to replicate it, so that even if you watch a PS tutorial you can use the method in your AD work.

Thanks, but I just want to clarify that I don't use tutorials to copy, i use them to learn so I can make my own designs.

I take parts and pieces from them to help me with a specific goal I try to accomplish on my own work so don't think I just want someone here to do all the work so i can copy.

I wasn't clear when watching the PS tutorials and that's why I'm here.

They used some sort of noise settings and all kinds of adjustments I have no idea what they are or do, so as a beginner who doesn't know this stuff, I need help... and also the whole reason I'd like a tutorial is so that I can understand what it is that's being done, not just an instructional step by step, but an explanation. 

Here is one of the vids: https://youtu.be/czhJfC1SuU0

I'm not saying you're lazy at all. You can use the Help menu to read the manual and search for the tools you have doubts about.

Or, you could search for "Noise Affinity Designer" in Youtube and find this tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6N9zyAXvI

Or this one about brushes, textures, and color blending modes which are used for the gas clouds in the PS tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlX6_MWE56Q  (this one also shows the FX layer panel where you can find the Blur effect)

As I said, "noise", "texture", "brushes" are tools and methods of doing things that are present in most design tools. If you're unfamiliar with Affinity Designer take some time to watch tutorials about it so you can learn where the features are. Then when you watch the Photoshop tutorials you'll already know where to find those features :)

So you want to learn how to make starry skies in addition to becoming familiar how everything is done. I can't promise my video will be exactly what you're looking for, but I will do what I can to help. If a method is taught in a tutorial, then I wouldn't say using that method is copying.

I understand that it confuses you when a key command is used without an explanation of what is does. For this, I will say I will use two.

1. Alt + Drag

This creates a duplicate of the selected object.

2. Command/Control + J

This creates the "Power Duplicate." It takes the previous duplicates and replicates them.

20170215100654.mov

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Thank you all, I know I got lots to learn yet and you've all been extremely helpful.

I may have gotten a little ahead of myself skipping some lessons here n there going straight to the star field, i'm just really excited about a special project I'm trying to do and the starry night sky is a major part so I'm excited to tackle it, and didnt really know how to even start so, again, thank you all.

I'll be sure to go back and learn the fundamentals now that I know what to look for. :)

HellFish88, 

You should check out the Affinity channel on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/AffinitybySerif

The videos are in no particular order, but they do help you understand what the program is capable of and what many of the features affect when editing photos or creating illustrations. 

I'm a new amateur user as well and those videos have been indispensable in my education of the programs' features. That, and the great folks here on the forums as well!